Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver door auto close without auto open. Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had automatic driver door enabled in the setting. The door would close when I walked away from the car. When I walked up to the car, the door opened automatically.
However, if I am parked next to a car and walk up to it, the door will open. If it is very windy (which it often is in the windy city area), the wind could push the door and it could bang into the car parked next to it. I saw this happen to someone recently!
So.. I am looking to see if it is possible to have the door close automatically when I walk away from the car but not have the driver door open when I walk up to it..

I had automatic driver door enabled in the setting. The door would close when I walked away from the car. When I walked up to the car, the door opened automatically.
However, if I am parked next to a car and walk up to it, the door will open. If it is very windy (which it often is in the windy city area), the wind could push the door and it could bang into the car parked next to it. I saw this happen to someone recently!
So.. I am looking to see if it is possible to have the door close automatically when I walk away from the car but not have the driver door open when I walk up to it..
Sure. Auto open as you approach and walkaway door lock are separate settings. However if it is windy, it does not take much of a breeze to prevent the door from closing, so pay attention as you exit the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
You don't say what year you have, so here is how legacy models work (I'm not sure if you can get similar results in the palladium models with the BLE fob and/or phone key):

"Passive Entry" = unlock when the fob is close
"Automatic Doors" = open the driver door when unlocked AND the fob is close (this can be an especially rare [arguably rare to a fault] scenario with the latest updates if you enable driver door unlock mode) + open the driver door when an unlock signal is received from the fob (double-click) + open the passenger door when an unlock signal is received from the fob (double-click) while the driver door is open

Automatic doors may also determine whether the driver door will close when you walk away with the fob and/or whether all doors will close when you send a lock signal from the fob (single-click or triple-click, depending on your lock all doors setting).

You could try disabling automatic doors and see if they will still close when you walk away (and/or when you send a lock signal), but if you'd like to still open the doors with the fob (just not have them popping open without your explicit signal), you'd want to leave automatic doors enabled and disable passive entry. FYI, passive entry is also what allows the vehicle to be started and driven anytime a fob is detected as in the vehicle, so if you unlock but don't start right away, you can end up with a prompt of "authentication required" when you try to start the vehicle, this just means you need to send a fresh unlock signal from the fob to re-trigger entry. FWIW, the fresh unlock signal won't open the driver door so long as you are sitting in the seat such that the sensor detects your presence.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj