Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Door Unlock Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
This is a bit embarrassing but my story might let someone else avoid the same thing...

It seems that a few days ago whilst looking through some of the car options I hadn't used before I activated Driver Door Unlock Mode ... and never thought any more about it since it didn't immediately affect my use of the car. I suppose I just forgot about it. Anyway, it turns out that neither the car screen nor the manual describes all aspects of the mode!

The scenario is that a few days later I went to the car and found that I couldn't manually open the boot ... I thought the physical boot release wasn't working ... so I unlocked the car fully ... and still couldn't open the boot ... I then pressed onscreen to unlock the boot but no joy ... tried the same with the front boot, nothing! The only way I could do it was by using the app control. I had just had a software update so my brain took that suspicious direction ... so I did a 2 button reset ... no change ... left it overnight ... no change.

I was on the brink of making a service request but after another software update today I went to see if anything had changed ... nope. I then discovered that I couldn't open the rear door ... and the penny finally dropped, because that made the connection with a memory of the Driver Door Unlock Mode! I went into the Locks settings and switched it off and everything was back to normal of course. Yes, with hindsight it's sensible for boot access to be restricted as well as doors but there's no mention in the manual. Rather surprising that even the screen controls wouldn't work when in that mode... I would at least expect to see an on-screen indication that the boot release has been disabled by Driver Door Unlock Mode. Beware!

This is a bit embarrassing but my story might let someone else avoid the same thing...

It seems that a few days ago whilst looking through some of the car options I hadn't used before I activated Driver Door Unlock Mode ... and never thought any more about it since it didn't immediately affect my use of the car. I suppose I just forgot about it. Anyway, it turns out that neither the car screen nor the manual describes all aspects of the mode!

The scenario is that a few days later I went to the car and found that I couldn't manually open the boot ... I thought the physical boot release wasn't working ... so I unlocked the car fully ... and still couldn't open the boot ... I then pressed onscreen to unlock the boot but no joy ... tried the same with the front boot, nothing! The only way I could do it was by using the app control. I had just had a software update so my brain took that suspicious direction ... so I did a 2 button reset ... no change ... left it overnight ... no change.

I was on the brink of making a service request but after another software update today I went to see if anything had changed ... nope. I then discovered that I couldn't open the rear door ... and the penny finally dropped, because that made the connection with a memory of the Driver Door Unlock Mode! I went into the Locks settings and switched it off and everything was back to normal of course. Yes, with hindsight it's sensible for boot access to be restricted as well as doors but there's no mention in the manual. Rather surprising that even the screen controls wouldn't work when in that mode... I would at least expect to see an on-screen indication that the boot release has been disabled by Driver Door Unlock Mode. Beware!
Had exactly the same experience trying to open a rear passenger door for one of my Wife's Pals, now off and staying off !

Reactions: Adopado