Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat off-center from steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed their steering wheel is not centered exactly in front of the driver seat? Meaning the centers of the steering wheel and driver's seat don't line up with each other in my model Y by around 2 inches. Either the seat is set too far to the right (toward the passenger side) or the wheel is set too far to the left. It causes me to sit more towards the left bolster on the seat to keep the center of the wheel aligned in the center of my vision or centered in front of my chest. This causes me bad left lateral hip pain. I weigh less than 130 pounds but have wide hips. Can't think of how anyone would be able to fix this. I keep having to readjust myself to sit in the center of my seat but then the wheel is a few inches too far off to the left. I didn't notice this until a few weeks after picking up my model Y and wondered why my left hip has been hurting since picking it up.

• Disagree
Reactions: PopsGG and Mike_TV
For those of you who also noticed the misalignment, how did you address it? It really bothers me and I worry it will cause chronic hip or back issues. After picking up my Y, the hip pain lingers even when I’m not in my car because the left bolster pushes up against it so hard when I try to keep the steering wheel centered in front of me.

My 2021 Model X is off as well. I have a bad back and I'm a big guy. $100k for a car, it should be perfect.
As you can see in the photo, I hung a string with a weight to get a straight line. It hangs at about 6.5 inches. but the seat is about 14 inches from seam to to seam. seat is off center by around an inch or so. Sending it to dealer on the 15th. I'll keep you updated

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 1,162
My 2021 Model X is off as well. I have a bad back and I'm a big guy. $100k for a car, it should be perfect.
As you can see in the photo, I hung a string with a weight to get a straight line. It hangs at about 6.5 inches. but the seat is about 14 inches from seam to to seam. seat is off center by around an inch or so. Sending it to dealer on the 15th. I'll keep you updated
Did you find anything out

Many cars are off center on purpose. I recall reading an article on it once ( car and driver?). I highly doubt this is a flaw, let alone one that has a “fix”. Go measure your other cars too. RAM 1500 is noticeably off center without even measuring. Makes it easy to drive one handed and I find it more ergonomic to rest arm on door card on highway in such a wide cabin. I can’t find the article that compares a bunch of brands but here’s one with a diagram from a BMW owner. Google it... bunch of material.

Steering Wheel Not Centered on Seat - Explained

C'mon guys; sit well back, fully supported in your driver's seat and adjust the linkages of your shoulders and elbows to let your hands rest lightly on the steering wheel. Where on earth can any tension come from? An elbow up on your driver's door can definitely cause strain by throwing weight onto a hip.

I'm not doubting you, but (and yes this is pedantic) for that picture to really show what you are trying to show, the seat would have to be moved forward until the front of it touched the string. If that's not the case then simply moving the camera from side to side would both introduce and remove the error due to parallax

but like I said, I'm not doubting you

Just got mine a week ago and noticed that I sit on the left cusion. Thought there was something wrong with me but then I notice the steering wheel sits about an inch to the left and so I unconsciously shift my body to have the steering wheel centered in front of me. This causes me to sit on the edge and over time causes some discomfort. I tried to sit in the seat center but then found I twisted slightly or pulled the steering to the right. Why would they put the seat like this?

Reactions: PopsGG
Mine seems really centered when I let myself settle into the center of the seat. Everything seems just in the right place.

Not going to measure anything or really over think it. This is the second most comfortable car I've owned, the First was a 1984 Peugeot 504 Diesel. Oh man, those seats.

If I remember, the steering wheel was about a foot to the left, actually outside the door. Couldn't even roll the window up, it ran into it.

Last cars were an 86 Land Cruiser and a 2014 Outback. I literally could not straighten my legs in the Outback, and the Land Cruiser stabbed me in the leg with a broken spring.

hey, did you get this fixed? I have this problem too on model 3.

Just got mine a week ago and noticed that I sit on the left cusion. Thought there was something wrong with me but then I notice the steering wheel sits about an inch to the left and so I unconsciously shift my body to have the steering wheel centered in front of me. This causes me to sit on the edge and over time causes some discomfort. I tried to sit in the seat center but then found I twisted slightly or pulled the steering to the right. Why would they put the seat like this?
Have you asked Tesla about this issue? Is there a solution?

Back from a service center. One tech said he would try; another said it’s not adjustable. The advisor said the seat is not off-centered. Ignore that advisor who is always a liar.
So this issue hasn’t been addressed.

Last edited:
yes igot my new 2023 model y and it is seat moved 1 inch to the right with respect to wheel ,so there is offset ,question is why???
@@is it because infotaiment unit and wheel has to be split on half distance ,or just wondering why tesla got this setup.

its not mistake because even my model S has same offset ..

very confused about this.

ps.my lexus rx 450h and es 300h and gs 450h didnt have this ofset.