Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver settings with a phone key.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, forgive me if this has already been asked previously, but I feel sure that I read somewhere that when you open a Tesla with a phone key the car recognises the driver and adjusts all the settings under that user.

So for instance if my wife went to use the car after me once she opened the car the seats, mirrors, etc would all adjust to her settings. Then when I went back to use the car, likewise it would adjust all the settings back to my settings.

I know that by touching the touchscreen and selecting my name this forces the adjustments, but I thought the car had the ability to do this just by recognising the phone key (and not having to touch the user on the screen).

Am I wrong?

I've already done that, and it works, but only if I select the relevant driver on the touch scree.

What I'm thinking should happen is that even when you open the car door the settings should change to match that drivers phone key - it doesn't.

I've already done that, and it works, but only if I select the relevant driver on the touch scree.

What I'm thinking should happen is that even when you open the car door the settings should change to match that drivers phone key - it doesn't.
You have to link the profile with your phone key. On the Lock setup screen, just click on the on the key currently being active, it would link it to the current profile.

How did you unlock the door? If you used proximity unlock, it goes by whichever phone happened to be connected via blutooth at the time... I have this issue, where the car detected the wrong phone, becuase they are both in range, so it will use that profile...

If you tap your phone however, it seems to always use the profile associated with that phone, since there is no ambiguity.