Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver-Side door air leak on new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y built in December 2022 at Fremont. I am in the midwest where temperatures have been ~0-30 degrees F recently. My left arm has always gotten chilly when driving, but I thought it was a lack of heat/airflow to that side of the car.

Today, while driving on the Interstate at 85mph (the speed limit is 80 here but everyone goes 85) I finally found out why it is so cold in that area. The area at the far rear of the window sill between the door and pillar is leaking air into the cabin from outside. It is NOT coming from the window seal or window.

Has any one else experienced this?
I'm starting to think all teslas were built on a Friday before a long weekend 😁 when I drove my new MYLR home in Dec 2022 I heard wind noise. Got home and realized the bottom of the driver's door was severely misaligned.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Hi

I have not updates my status after my visit to SC. So after conversation with engineer, he said that there isn't anything they could do. But I found that my drivers door was bit misaligned to b pillar or rear door. I asked if he can aligned the door and initially mentioned that this is within the spec and should be fine, but he said he will give it a try if this can resolve the issue. He did adjusted the front driver side door little inward for me.
And been driving for weeks and had numerous time of situation when I typically felt the air draft, not sure if it is placebo, but I do feel less wind draft or no draft at all.
I think this should be something to try out.
Do you have any after pictures? Any draft after?

I have the same issue as OP on my 2023 MY Fremont build. I have installed the Basenor door seal kit, which reduced the wind enough that I can no longer power a large wind turbine inside the vehicle. It is still annoying and cold. SC wants to charge me $ for a mobile tech repair. I really dont feel like paying money for that...I only have 300 miles on the car. I sent them this message and will see what happens next.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
I have a 2023 Model Y built in December 2022 at Fremont. I am in the midwest where temperatures have been ~0-30 degrees F recently. My left arm has always gotten chilly when driving, but I thought it was a lack of heat/airflow to that side of the car.

Today, while driving on the Interstate at 85mph (the speed limit is 80 here but everyone goes 85) I finally found out why it is so cold in that area. The area at the far rear of the window sill between the door and pillar is leaking air into the cabin from outside. It is NOT coming from the window seal or window.

Has any one else experienced this?
I have same issue with my Model Y 23 built in Fremont in Jan. Both the doors on the back seat seem to have air leak

For anybody still wondering I got my air leak fixed. Took my car to tesla under warranty and returned to me same, local tesla shop not very competent.
Took my car to known body mechanic, He adjusted driver door striker, rear door hinges and striker. Repositioned rear secondary seal, took about 1hr.
Now car is much quieter and no more cold air.
This is a good idea, any body shop would already have a good experience in alignment better than Tesla SC.

Unfortunately this does not seat well with me as Tesla thinks it is normal to have this problem. I completely wrote off Tesla as future vehicle after 3 hours of argument with SC to be told this is normal and leave.

Reactions: Ts91
I just wanted to update this thread with the FIX! I drove about 200 miles after I picked it up, at 85 mph, and no more air leak. Kinda sad I didn't get to experiment with indoor wind turbines, though...

I have pasted the text from SC below:

Concern:
Customer states: Something Else - Air infiltration driver's side B column. I could easilydrive a wind turbine with the amount of air infiltration at the rear driver's side window. This is a brandnew car.
Verified customer concern. Performed Left Rear Door Glass Adjustment. Performed Validation TestDrive. Performed Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment and applied Auto body seal on bothrear door inner part to prevent air leak. Verified on test drive the infiltration is no longer present.
Correction: Door Glass - Rear - LH (Adjust)
Correction: Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment - 0.6

I took delivery Friday 23 MYLR MSM Induction from Fremont and my back left door glass is loose and something is rattling inside like a roller or holding clip is missing from the regulator. The window is loose and it lays lazily against the seal and causes a ripping air noise.

Service is Feb 8th so far.
Any update on this? My 23 MYLR 7 seat has a floppy rear window as well. I asked for SC to look at it but I got the standard "in spec" response.