Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side door won't open or close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
Just went out to do an errand and the doors where fine until 10 min later the auto-present wouldn't work, door only open 2-3 inches and had to use some force to open it. It does however latch on to close when I manually close it. From the inside using the onscreen it's the same only open 2-3 inches and I feel some kind of pressure trying to manually push it open. I try the scroll (onscreen) reset and that didn't help. I've read that some people had success unplugging a fuse but I have no idea where that is. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Helpful
Reactions: Kalex
That's normal behavior if it senses an obstruction (via the falcon wing door side sensor). Our right side FWD always thinks there's an obstruction so my wife has your same problem on the passenger side. In that case it's just trying to save you from banging your door on whatever it thinks it senses. Do you have a driver's side FWD that thinks there's an obstruction (gray or red arc by the FWD when looking at the doors on the center screen)?

I do not see any gray or red arc by the FWD door but I was checking around my settings and turned off energy saving and the door is back to normal. Not sure why that would have anything to do with the doors but I'm just happy it's back to normal as I'm going on a road trip this weekend! Thanks though!

It felt really good informing the SC that told me to wait for a firmware upgrade on how to fix it.
Very annoying as you take delivery and the driver feels like it's stuck in mud 2 days later.
So glad I found TMC :)

Having the same issue. I get the "obstacle detected" for the rear drive side FWD since two days. However, the driver side only opens 2-3". At random it will open fully. There are no obstacles detected anywhere since I sometimes park in the driveway. I may try the turning the energy saving on or off. Doubt that will fix it. I have an appointment set for next Wednesday.

I recently had the same issue as OP ckwong.

The fix for me was as follows:

1. Perform reset (using scroll wheels).
2. Manually open driver door fully. Step out.
3. From outside of the car, slowly close the door (over a 20 sec duration).
4. Using FOB, lock the car, then unlock, then lock, then unlock.
5. Push the door handle and see if it opens!

The above steps were found in the forums and worked for me.

Of note, before I found this fix, I called Tesla and they thought it was a mechanical problem requiring Service Center visit. I’m so glad to have avoided that inconvenience.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I recently had the same issue as OP ckwong.

The fix for me was as follows:

1. Perform reset (using scroll wheels).
2. Manually open driver door fully. Step out.
3. From outside of the car, slowly close the door (over a 20 sec duration).
4. Using FOB, lock the car, then unlock, then lock, then unlock.
5. Push the door handle and see if it opens!

The above steps were found in the forums and worked for me.

Of note, before I found this fix, I called Tesla and they thought it was a mechanical problem requiring Service Center visit. I’m so glad to have avoided that inconvenience.

I am having this opening and closing resistance problem on my 2016 MX driver side door. I tried the Energy Saving toggle - didn't fixed. I also tried the 5-step process from tchaimd/hollywood - that didn't work for me either. I even tried the Front Door Reset procedure on the Tesla usual manual with the pop actuator/ice breaker, but not able to see the pop actuator move at all. Anyone have success with other fix method before I schedule a service appointment with Tesla? Thanks in advance.