Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Tail Light has fog/condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Got our first rain last night and this morning the driver side Tail Light shows fog/condensation inside the housing of the light.
I've seen this in the forum on early models, this is worth a service visit I guess, anybody else has had that issue lately?
Thanks!

View attachment 300760
Had this same issue on both my taillights and it didn’t go away after a week. I took pics and scheduled a service at my local SC but thankfully they changed it to a mobile visit. Three weeks later.

I still have the residue inside the headlight lens issue after them being replaced and still no word if they got it resolved.
Sorry to hear that. Hey, is this only on the INNER taillights (the ones attached to the trunk), like on the video? Hope so. And if that ever happens to my car, I'd honestly fix it myself. I don't trust dealers, and easy stuff like that, I much prefer to fix myself. So far, every time I've taken a car to a dealer, it has resulted in at least 1 issue (chip, scratch, scuff, problem not fixed, other problems created, etc), so I avoid them like the plague. Hope I never have to try with Tesla, but if I do, I'd try the mobile option first, so I can watch everything.

Hopefully the new one will be sealed correctly. If not again, I'd just seal it myself, like the video dude did with black 'liquid seal'. Good luck, and let us know if the new taillight was any better.

Techie came by and echoed the scripted response of tesla that it is NORMAL Can't blame the guy for protecting his job buy instilled in him that he continue living with this LIE. He succumbed. It is time to elevate this issue to the next level. I find it unlawful for any merchant to continue serving, and in this case installing, a known defective product. Class action lawsuit?

A few weeks ago, while a mobile technician was at my house fixing something else, I asked him whether my taillight condensation was covered under warranty.

He said "the standard line is that it is not covered under warranty unless you can demonstrate that there is water standing in the bottom of the light." He took one look at mine and said "I see a small amount of standing water there; send pics and be sure to mention the standing water fact when you request service."

So, I did, and the next mobile technician, a couple weeks later, said "yep, that's a bad one," and proceeded to replace the light. Of course, YMMV. Just my anecdote.

FWIW, here are pictures of my lights. I couldn't capture in the photo the very tiny amount of water standing in the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0989.jpeg
    IMG_0989.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: hellocar
Techie came by and echoed the scripted response of tesla that it is NORMAL Can't blame the guy for protecting his job buy instilled in him that he continue living with this LIE. He succumbed. It is time to elevate this issue to the next level. I find it unlawful for any merchant to continue serving, and in this case installing, a known defective product. Class action lawsuit?
So let me ask ... Does the light not work? How does that count as defective and unlawful? Please explain.
I'm not saying it's normal and shouldn't be corrected -- of course it should -- but a class action lawsuit for a product that continues to function will be a complete, total dead end.

If only the inside (trunk lid) taillights have an issue, which appears to be the case, claiming it's normal seems stupid. The photo above is awful. If it was just a little bit, maybe. But that much is ridiculous. For some reason, the inside tails have a manufacturing issue, and should be corrected IMO. But again, I'd just try to fix it myself first... but I'm the DIY kind of guy :).

Some condensation in the lens is counted as "normal" by pretty much every manufacturer from what I can find googling around the issue on forums, especially if it clears out with some driving (not chronically always there). Most lights out there are not 100% sealed and even with the gore-tex breather patch(es) does not 100% prevent all moisture from getting in.

However, that doesn't mean all instances are acceptable. As others pointed out, standing water inside is obviously a sign of a defective light. Then there are different levels of condensation in between.

So let me ask ... Does the light not work? How does that count as defective and unlawful? Please explain.
I'm not saying it's normal and shouldn't be corrected -- of course it should -- but a class action lawsuit for a product that continues to function will be a complete, total dead end.

it's funny you\re not saying its normal yet you\re asking how it counts as defective. got to make up your mind!

it's funny you\re not saying its normal yet you\re asking how it counts as defective. got to make up your mind!

No, what I’m saying is that I don’t think you’re going to convince any judge or arbitrator that there’s a material defect worthy of a recall or class action suit for a device that continues to work. You called it unlawful and suggested a class action suit. Neither are the case here.

Unsightly? Maybe. But functional. If it were mine, I’d want it fixed from a cosmetic POV, but doesn’t rise to the level of a material defect worthy of such a drastic action. That argument would never hold water (ha ha, get it?)

Sorry to hear that. Hey, is this only on the INNER taillights (the ones attached to the trunk), like on the video? Hope so. And if that ever happens to my car, I'd honestly fix it myself. I don't trust dealers, and easy stuff like that, I much prefer to fix myself. So far, every time I've taken a car to a dealer, it has resulted in at least 1 issue (chip, scratch, scuff, problem not fixed, other problems created, etc), so I avoid them like the plague. Hope I never have to try with Tesla, but if I do, I'd try the mobile option first, so I can watch everything.

Your reply was for the other issue I have, the headlight residue. But for my tail lights issue, the condensation was in both the inner and outer lenses. But I hear you about dealers making warranty repairs worse. I have had good experiences with Tesla's mobile service, but the problem is that we don't get a choice to pick them as it depends on the service needed.