Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's side only unlock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work at night and park in a large urban parking garage. For years, my cars have been set to driver's side only unlock, due to safety reasons. I currently use the phone as my key, because I like the new sound on lock feature. I believe I read that if I use the card, the driver's side only will unlock. If I use my phone, I haven't been able to find this feature anywhere in the settings. Does it exist, and if so, where? If not, how many of you would like to be able to unlock only the driver's door if you are using your phone as the key?

Can't we just get a fob already??????? I still haven't figured out what to do with my house key...

Using the keycard to unlock the car unlocks all of the doors. I don't think that there's a setting in the car's user interface that will do this; I'll double check in a minute or two.

Edit: Checked the Lock settings and I didn't see anything which would allow you to only unlock the driver's side door.

Last edited:
@RedModel3 Most thieves will not be able to figure out how to use the door handles so I think you will be safe. ;)
You're probably right. Years ago, my best friend was carjacked. She was driving a manual Honda Civic hatchback. First, he didn't know what key to use (says "Honda" right on it), then he was ultimately unsuccessful because he didn't know to step on the brake to start the car.

I work at night and park in a large urban parking garage. For years, my cars have been set to driver's side only unlock, due to safety reasons. I currently use the phone as my key, because I like the new sound on lock feature. [...] ow many of you would like to be able to unlock only the driver's door if you are using your phone as the key?

Very much agree -- there are a number of poor decisions in the design/UI in the security/personal security area.

The BLE tranceiver array should theoretically be able to tell on which side the phone is located, and it should be possible to configure only to unlock on that side. Alternatively, and simpler, a setting to always only unlock driver's door.

Following that, unlocking other doors could be handled via an automatic pop-out on the lock icon (similar to the Homelink popout) or via overlaying the map area of the screen (I know where I am) with a getting-in-the-car quick-controls area.