Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Fun and Comfort: which car wins, M3 or MS?

Driving Fun and Comfort: M3 or MS?

• Model 3

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • Model S

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Belgium
To all who have experience with both Model 3 and Model S,

Let's leave aside cargo space, range, price, size of center screen, dual screen, the fun-ness of RWD and all other variables:

In combined terms of "fun to drive" and "a nice and comfortable drive", could M3 LRD qualify as better than MS 100D? Or would the MS still have the edge?

Very subjective question indeed. Guess it depends on what part of the driving experience you like most?

Being connected to the road, tighter suspension more fun in the curves - Model 3

Being isolated from the road, smoother suspension, more fun in a straight line - Model S

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
MS is generally more powerful and faster esp 100D vs RWD model 3. I think its a personal choice thing mostly.

While I firmly prefer the 3, others prefer the S and both are great.

The S is more of a grand touring car, high speed, more isolating suspension. The model S will overheat sooner however with repeated kick downs at high speed, such as the autobahn.

The model 3 is more of a sports sedan, excels at twisty roads, more tight suspension, overall less raw acceleration than the S (at least the RWD version vs the 100D)

Top of the line models, the P3D runs mid to high 11 second quarter, while the P100D+ runs a mid to high 10 second quarter.

MS is generally more powerful and faster esp 100D vs RWD model 3. I think its a personal choice thing mostly.

The S is more of a grand touring car, high speed, more isolating suspension. The model S will overheat sooner however with repeated kick downs at high speed, such as the autobahn.

The model 3 is more of a sports sedan, excels at twisty roads, more tight suspension, overall less raw acceleration than the S (at least the RWD version vs the 100D)

Top of the line models, the P3D runs mid to high 11 second quarter, while the P100D+ runs a mid to high 10 second quarter.

Driving a Model S 90D, not a hundred, but these are my thoughts exactly. Similar in power, the 90D is our "cruiser" and the 3 is the hotrod. It doesn't matter to me what the 0-60 times are.

WE (wifey and I) like them both, but she prefers the 3 because it's not so "portly" and she can park it more easily.

Having both an S and a 3, the S is definitely more comfortable to drive but the 3 is more fun when I want it to be. The 3's suspension is a good amount harsher than the S with air suspension. I'll probably end up changing the suspension on the 3 sooner or later since there's too much wheel gap anyway.

Reactions: Remonster
Never got to try P100D but loaner cars 75 and 7D and one P85 and that one is quick but I've always preferred a more controlled ride, which the 3 feels to me. Also the S is wider and for whatever reason, it's enough wider to make me a little nervous on some narrower road

Disclosure the 3 is the biggest car I personally have owned in quite a long time

Having both an S and a 3, the S is definitely more comfortable to drive but the 3 is more fun when I want it to be. The 3's suspension is a good amount harsher than the S with air suspension. I'll probably end up changing the suspension on the 3 sooner or later since there's too much wheel gap anyway.

+1

Model S is more comfortable

Model 3 is more fun to drive

I agree. Prefer our S for road trips, and our 3 around town and down country lanes.

If you want to attract a potential mate, the S wins.

• Funny
Reactions: EVMeister
Model S is calmer, smoother and more comfortable. Model 3 is more lively, responsive and fun. They both are great. Like choosing between high performance slalom and giant slalom race skis. I like slalom skis right now so beg my wife to let me drive her AWD Model 3. :p

In terms of skis, Model S = Volant.

I've always loved Volant, or Volant-like, skis. However, I traded in an S85D for a P3D and haven't looked back!

Wife got a 3LR early on, so I was able to A-B compare the two for months. For me, it was no contest.

Recently drove an S. Reinforced the choice even more.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
We almost bought a S 2-3 years ago. Driving it a few times and we know people with S’s came to the conclusion for us - It’s really is big. Like S class big, almost as big as my LX570 big. My wife has driven an e class MB for almost 16 years (and an SL before that) so it’s a big deal for her to not be in a MB (although they do make great cars). She wanted something more e class size.

As for the original question we passed on a S and waited on the 3. I also personally know 4 people who are selling their S and getting a 3. Most reason is the S is big one of the guys wants something sportier another wants something less “flashy”. I think if someone wants a comfortable ride get the S more sporty the 3.

To all who have experience with both Model 3 and Model S,

Let's leave aside cargo space, range, price, size of center screen, dual screen, the fun-ness of RWD and all other variables:

In combined terms of "fun to drive" and "a nice and comfortable drive", could M3 LRD qualify as better than MS 100D? Or would the MS still have the edge?
Subjective question. Ask this on S forum and you’ll get a lot of S answers b/c you choose the car which is the best blend of all variables.

Here is an objective review from InsideEVs... EV Comparison: Tesla Model S Versus Tesla Model 3

Which flavor of Tesla do you prefer: sporty commuter or highway bomber?

upload_2018-11-7_19-26-26.png

Reactions: Carl