Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in New Hampshire with no front plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can get away with anything until you're caught. I suspect these individuals have decided the penalty for missing a front plate is worth it (to them).

(one could say the same thing about speeding. I see many people exceeding the posted speed limit every day. How are those people getting away with it?)

Reactions: Les236
I've been driving my cars for 30 years without a front plate.

I've been yelled at for it.. once.

And if I get a ticket, it's a non-moving violation that is usually a "fix-it" ticket, so you go to the station and show you put it on and they void the ticket. Or if that's not available, just pay the fine.

I also use a SnapPlate to quickly mount it if the need arises (never has). SnapPlate Removable Front License Plate Mounts by EveryAmp

I've been driving my cars for 30 years without a front plate.

I've been yelled at for it.. once.

And if I get a ticket, it's a non-moving violation that is usually a "fix-it" ticket, so you go to the station and show you put it on and they void the ticket. Or if that's not available, just pay the fine.

I also use a SnapPlate to quickly mount it if the need arises (never has). SnapPlate Removable Front License Plate Mounts by EveryAmp
Pretty much took the words out of my post. 👍

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Some <insert car brand here> owners like the 'look' of a plate-less front bumper more than they like following a regulation. I know my Y didn't come with the front plate holder installed. I did that myself when I got my plates. (I personally don't value a plate-less front bumper more than following the regulations..)

Reactions: Ron_M3 and chjch
You can't get an inspection sticker without a front plate (I do inspections in NH) but we can't control what you do after you leave our parking lot. Every Tesla that comes to us for inspection has one on, or has us put it on for them if they just got the car.

You can definitely get fined if you don't have one so you have decide if its worth the risk of getting a fine and the inconvenience of getting stopped for something you can't even see while your driving.

Reactions: Mrdrbot23
I had a co-worker that would double-face tape his plate on before the inspection and remove it after the inspection.
A friend of mine used a plate holder that threaded into the tow-eye hole on the front of his Golf R - install before NH inspection, remove after.

You can't get an inspection sticker without a front plate (I do inspections in NH) but we can't control what you do after you leave our parking lot. Every Tesla that comes to us for inspection has one on, or has us put it on for them if they just got the car.

You can definitely get fined if you don't have one so you have decide if its worth the risk of getting a fine and the inconvenience of getting stopped for something you can't even see while your driving.
Do you know if NH still issues fix-it tickets? I got one 35 years ago driving a roommates VW Scirocco with a broken exhaust pipe (sheared off entering the muffler). I did a quick check on-line; it looks like the fix-it concept is gone - everything is a fine now.

In all the discussions I’ve had about this the last 20 years, with a lot of people, including LEOs, LEOs won’t pull you over ONLY for a missing front plate, but will/can add it to another more serious infraction.
I've been driving for a year with an expired inspection sticker, including many times through a well-known speed trap in my neighborhood, and haven't been stopped once.

It started with running late on the inspection, then became a game of "how long can I push it"? I probably need to do front brakes to pass - some minor rust pitting on the rotors.

Reactions: HankLloydRight