Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IL Front Plate Scofflaws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that about half of the Teslas I see on the road, highway and suburban streets, do not have the front license plate installed — in violation of Illinois law. Have the cops just stopped enforcing that law? Any Illinoisans here without a front plate ever been stopped and ticketed?

I've noticed that about half of the Teslas I see on the road, highway and suburban streets, do not have the front license plate installed — in violation of Illinois law. Have the cops just stopped enforcing that law? Any Illinoisans here without a front plate ever been stopped and ticketed?
Same can be said for window tint, windshield tint, etc. just depends on the circumstances. If you love speeding or being the agressive driver all are opportunities for them to pull you over. I haven’t had an issue with plates Or all the tint options since I learned to drive like an adult.

Don’t street park within Chicago’s city limits or at a city garage (like O’Hare). You WILL get a $100 ticket.

I haven't used a front plate in IL for DECADES, first on all my vette's and now since 2020 on my Model Ys. However, given the poor state of our economy, I wouldn't be surprised if local politicians dictate police start enforcing the law. It's a revenue stream just waiting to be tapped.

Same can be said for window tint, windshield tint, etc. just depends on the circumstances. If you love speeding or being the agressive driver all are opportunities for them to pull you over. I haven’t had an issue with plates Or all the tint options since I learned to drive like an adult.
The best are the antisocials with tinted rear license plate covers.

Reactions: TomServo
Exactly, this is why I got 80% ceramic winshield and front windows, cops can clearly see me through it. Do you guys also have the clowns driving with tinted unreadeable rear license plate covers?

At least two out of three model 3's and Y's I pass or see in the customer parking lot do not display a front plate here (Chi. suburbs). Oddly, most of the S drivers do have a front plate mounted. Of the Y and 3's without front plates, I occasionally see a plate sitting on their dashboard.