Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Model 3 Performance and Pilot Sport 4S at 0F

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even for the 3rd party 18" rims that do fit is so close that it can be within manufacturing tolerances on the calipers so one side will rub, and need grinding off non-structural trim on the calipers, and not on the other side.
I have no such problems with the TSportline 18" rims, with sufficient caliper clearance, and no grinding or rubbing. Lots of folks are using these on P3Ds for snow wheels specifically because they're an easy fit.

IMG_1266.jpeg

I have no such problems with the TSportline 18" rims, with sufficient caliper clearance, and no grinding or rubbing. Lots of folks are using these on P3Ds for snow wheels specifically because they're an easy fit.
For some definition of "easy". :)

Yes, those ($300 rims) are one of the few 18" rims that fit on the 3P+. Tesla's don't [without employing a grinder on the calipers, and some hardware to deal with the lip on the hub]. Check on the board here, you'll see people that had a 3rd party rim fit on one side and they just went with it only to find they had to grind the caliper on the other side because of a small deviation in the caliper's mould.

In my opinion Tesla should simply allow the customer to dictate which tires it comes with during delivery.
I think the actual problem is the Pirelli Sottozero 3 is pretty much the only 20" tire available in the size that is a fit for the Tesla 20" P3D+ rim currently. Just checked online and can't even buy them anymore online on Tire Rack, although other sizes exist.

Unless your snow needs are very casual, I'd definitely go to 19 or 18 for the extra sidewall, and efficiency gains. Those 20s are pretty heavy.

Reactions: Jedi2155
It's an unrealistic expectation because it's not the approach that Tesla repeatedly demonstrated success using to execute. Don't think it's "good"? I urge you to step back and check the scoreboard. You can hang out there with Mr. Sandy Munro.

This is rapid development. This is what iteration at speed, and aggressively keeping lean inventory & product lines looks like.

I think you're making a large assertion as to how much I care about it.

Do I think it was a mistake not to have a wheel/tire combination option that allowed a P3D+ to get the advertised 310 mile range? Yes. I probably would have bought it assuming it was either a Winter or All-Season solution.

Tesla simply left money on the table as far as I'm concerned.

But, does it play into any future buying decision of a Tesla? Is it anywhere close to the list of things I really care about? No

Like pretty much everyone else with a P3D+ I'll simply give my money to someone else. If it works well what do I care?

The funniest thing is I'll use the $5K refund Tesla gave to me because a person named Fred got mad.

Life in Tesla land can be kinda funny.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and alee
Yes, those ($300 rims) are one of the few 18" rims that fit on the 3P+. Tesla's don't [without employing a grinder on the calipers, and some hardware to deal with the lip on the hub]. Check on the board here, you'll see people that had a 3rd party rim fit on one side and they just went with it only to find they had to grind the caliper on the other side because of a small deviation in the caliper's mould.
I'm well aware that Tesla rims and many claimed 3rd party rims don't... I'm with @S4WRXTTCS on this - seems like poor design planning when the only way you can get another wheel on is through specialty rims, and spacers. Wheels/tires are the largest aftermarket for cars... Tesla sells 1 car configuration where you have almost no choices.

But let's say that's fine, and their wheel config is the Apple Lightning port of cars. To not have a solution readily available for those that drive in snow, and no aftermarket that can support these people reasonably either? That's both a bad experience for the car owner, and money left on the table. Because when TSportline was backordered for countless weeks and the weather started turning, I would have happily spent the $4k with Tesla if they had any size of wheel/tire combo that I could use.

I'm with @S4WRXTTCS on this
Then go hang out with them and Sandy.

Driving Model 3 Performance and Pilot Sport 4S at 0F

Because when TSportline was backordered for countless weeks and the weather started turning....
It's almost like it is a very difficult task to get custom rims designed, built, stocked, and shipped in short order?

Sure it'd be nice to have a bunch of different options other than peeling off the PS4s and replacing them. Frankly I don't want to run 20" on the Model 3 in summer much less in winter. But you're ignoring the lay of the land here, what was going on in the larger picture and how much a custom rolled job, squeezed into the schedule, the P was/in.

The real alternative here was "don't ship the P at all in this timeframe". Maybe that's the option you'd have preferred as opposed to owning the vehicle, but my guess is there'd be a LOT more belly aching and disappointment if they hadn't shipped.

EDIT: I do wonder what the reasoning with the change on the hub was. Why they felt they needed to do that. I've not seen anyone give a compelling reason for that, just will guesses, and neither Tesla nor Musk has ever talked about the reason that I am aware of? That might have been a poor call.

Last edited:
The real alternative here was "don't ship the P at all in this timeframe". Maybe that's the option you'd have preferred as opposed to owning the vehicle, but my guess is there'd be a LOT more belly aching and disappointment if they hadn't shipped.
I'm more of an infrastructure kind of guy, so I tend to prefer supply chain and support be ramped up well ahead of production and trying to achieve record sales. I understand it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't" when Wall St is looking for someone to hang, but the damage in my opinion is the post-sales world. Especially in the areas with greater disposable incomes, we're seeing severe supercharger congestion and long waits for service. Parts are hard to come by. They made a ton of cars in a hurry and quality has been widely reported as hit/miss. Tesla can't even ship a double-sided taped spoiler to customers that bought a P3D.

Tesla's challenges are all self-induced at the expense of the customer. And you can't really say it's just because they're a startup company. This their 4th car... first one at this level of mass production, but they should know better by now.

I'm more of an infrastructure kind of guy, so I tend to prefer supply chain and support be ramped up well ahead of production and trying to achieve record sales.
Welcome to the brave new world. Tesla is eating that approach's lunch, and will continue to. Even if it seems entirely Bad Wrong and counterintuitive to you, executed competently (which Tesla has unarguably done) it has a significantly better overall outcomes at the end of the day. Tesla is now 4 years ahead of the rest of the industry on BEVs and any automobile manufacturer that doesn't adjust and change to this approach isn't going to be able to put much of a dent in that gap and eventually they'll just run out of time and resources.

It's the same revolution that starting blazing through software near 20 years ago, Tesla has managed to translate it into automobiles.

Last edited:
Welcome to the brave new world. Tesla is eating that approach's lunch, and will continue to. Even if it seems entirely Bad Wrong and counterintuitive to you, executed competently (which Tesla has unarguably done) it has a significantly better overall outcomes at the end of the day. Tesla is now 4 years ahead of the rest of the industry on BEVs and any automobile manufacturer that doesn't adjust and change to this approach isn't going to be able to put much of a dent in that gap and eventually they'll just run out of time and resources.
Well they're running almost a billion dollars of debt, so I wouldn't be so cavalier about it. They've got a huge wake of half-finished projects to work on.

Elon doesn't care if Tesla goes out of business if it makes the world a better place for having moved the industry. He's not running a business - he's trying to run a cause using a business. The Tesla car owner gets screwed in this deal.

We probably need about 2x the number of service centers, and 2x the number of superchargers to meet the number of vehicles they're putting out there. That's probably another 250MM that needs to be spent on infrastructure just to meet the demand created by selling the vehicles. Meanwhile he's going to put 3 additional cars and a semi on the road... they can't support what they have... selling more cars is going to continue to crush the service centers.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Well they're running almost a billion dollars of debt, so I wouldn't be so cavalier about it. They've got a huge wake of half-finished projects to work on.

Elon doesn't care if Tesla goes out of business if it makes the world a better place for having moved the industry. He's not running a business - he's trying to run a cause using a business. The Tesla car owner gets screwed in this deal.

We probably need about 2x the number of service centers, and 2x the number of superchargers to meet the number of vehicles they're putting out there. That's probably another 250MM that needs to be spent on infrastructure just to meet the demand created by selling the vehicles. Meanwhile he's going to put 3 additional cars and a semi on the road... they can't support what they have... selling more cars is going to continue to crush the service centers.
What a mess, I'm not even sure where to start.....

I'm experiencing big performance increases in where-I-live winter driving, with my 18 setup.

My car, fit with 20's and snow tires, ain't right for where-I-live winter. But with my 18 setup, I'm starting to feel Audi like handling. I'm getting to La Bomba, man.

I dunno. Maybe the machine is getting paranoid. Because now I'm seeing videos floating around of the 3 in winter. The inference is, "Hey man, this car is great in the winter".

There's too many ins, too many outs, what have you's. You can't just post up and say "this is it", or, "is this it?". It's way more complicated than this, man.

A video of a car doing donuts in the snow ain't the same as a car driving on a snowy Interstate or mountain pass, like in this picture.

A video of a car cruising along in dry snow ain't the same as a car in wet snow, snow mixed with sand, magnesium chloride, and a layer of freeze.

Peace and love,
Winter - 1.jpg