Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving my ICE vehicle while Model 3 RWD is on limited duty. Some simple observations…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dcfas

Jun 24, 2023
NY
My ‘23 Model 3RWD picked up a screw in a tire and is losing about five psi per day, so I made a service appointment. In the meantime I’ve been driving my ‘18 Honda CR-V AWD. I drive about 75 miles per day to work and back M-F. The difference in vehicles is obvious, of course, like apples to oranges; nevertheless, there are some points of interest I’ve noticed, to some degree, and have found surprising.

The first thing is wind noise. I’ve complained about wind noise in the 3, but over the past year I’ve realized it kind of depends on how well the weather stripping works when the windows roll up. I’ve managed that better to the point it’s not so bad. The Honda is actually louder with the wind noise, and the weather stripping never changes. This is on the highway.

Cruise control is another noticeable point of interest. The Honda has a similar system in that it will keep lane guidance. The 3 is far more rigid than the Honda in that there is a marked resistance when manually turning the wheel, for example in avoiding a pothole. The Honda will allow you to turn the wheel with negligible resistance.

The suspension is obviously far stiffer in the 3, but the difference in the ride quality has made me aware how truck-like the Honda is. Previously I’ve always had the impression the C-RV drove like a sedan. I no longer feel that way. It feels like a lumbering, heavy hunk of metal compared to the 3.

Seating. The Honda is a small SUV, of course, but I’ve realized the more reclined seating in the Model 3 is actually more comfortable. The Honda’s seats are pretty nice, but not as nice as the Tesla’s.

Finally, I miss driving the Model 3. The Honda has its uses and is a decent vehicle, but I’ve realized this past week I’d rather be in the Tesla, despite all its quirks and apparent shortcomings.

48592388522_d1bd7d53a2_b.jpg

"Nachhaltige E-Mobilität: Tesla Model 3 aufladen mit einem Typ 2-Stecker" by verchmarco is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

My ‘23 Model 3RWD picked up a screw in a tire and is losing about five psi per day, so I made a service appointment.
Why? Why not just take it to a tire shop and have it patched? It is a quick job, permanent, and usually a free service. This assumes the penetration is in a repairable part of the tread. If not, you’ll need a new tire anyway.

Why? Why not just take it to a tire shop and have it patched? It is a quick job, permanent, and usually a free service. This assumes the penetration is in a repairable part of the tread. If not, you’ll need a new tire anyway.
^ That. Or, if you have a compressor at home, get something like this, and fix the tire at home: Tire Repair Kit
I used it just a few weeks ago, and it works like a charm.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
Again, why a service appointment? You need a new tire…back to the tire shop solution.

I tried a tire shop, one that came highly recommended. I bought winter tires and had them mounted there last fall. They broke the tpms sensor, charged me for a new one, and then couldn’t get it to read. Turns out they put in an incompatible sensor. I had to argue with the manager that I paid for the wrong sensor and wanted them to reimburse me, which he eventually only partially agreed to.

Long story short, no thanks. I’ll take it to the SC until I can find a place and a guy I’m comfortable with.

Again, why a service appointment? You need a new tire…back to the tire shop solution no?

Indeed.
Taking your car to dealer's service center (for any OEM, not just Tesla) for tire or alignment is one of the worst decisions one can make.
Not only are they not doing tire mounting, balancing, and wheel alignment often enough to be any good at it, but they ALWAYS over-charge for the second-rate work they do. In the case of Tesla, you also get to wait 2-4 weeks for an appointment to be overcharged.

I tried a tire shop, one that came highly recommended. [...]
Long story short, no thanks.

There is just 1 tire shop in NY?
Really?

I’ll take it to the SC until I can find a place and a guy I’m comfortable with.

Well, then waiting for weeks for a SC appointment to get overcharged is what you have knowing chosen, and deserve.

I had a nail in my MY tire and was leaking. I used my 12v compressor to pump it back up and could drive about 5 miles before getting low again. Turned out I was near a Tesla SC, so pulled in and they got me a new tire in just over an hour with no appointment and was a Friday afternoon. The Tesla agent said I could pay less at a tire shop but was a ways to a tire shop and I didn’t have time to mess around pumping my tire up. Pretty happy the way they got me in in an emergency.

I would say every reply here is correct depending on how lucky you got which is a sad reflection of the state of auto repair. My biggest concern would be making sure the lug nuts get retorqued to the proper spec and check all four wheels while you're at it. Many including myself found the nuts on our Teslas not quite tight enough right from day one brand new. And I have one of the "high quality " Shanghai cars. This would be especially important on heavy, high performance cars like ours with grippy tires.

Reactions: dcfas
Big Snip!

Cruise control is another noticeable point of interest

The suspension is obviously far stiffer in the 3, but the difference in the ride quality has made me aware how truck-like the Honda is. Previously I’ve always had the impression the C-RV drove like a sedan. I no longer feel that way. It feels like a lumbering, heavy hunk of metal compared to the 3.
"Nachhaltige E-Mobilität: Tesla Model 3 aufladen mit einem Typ 2-Stecker" by verchmarco is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Regarding CC, I have never used it again after a very frightening phantom braking incident on the open road. Two lane, fast US highway, in the boondocks and all of a sudden the car all but locked up. After the second time it was permanently off. I filed a report with the NHTSA over it. Tesla had no comment on the issue.

It’s too bad the CRV handles so poorly. It’s not a big vehicle and Honda could do much better. Their customers let them get away with it.

The M3 has great dynamics, that’s for sure. I just wish Tesla would fix the obvious faults.

Indeed.
Taking your car to dealer's service center (for any OEM, not just Tesla) for tire or alignment is one of the worst decisions one can make.
Not only are they not doing tire mounting, balancing, and wheel alignment often enough to be any good at it, but they ALWAYS over-charge for the second-rate work they do. In the case of Tesla, you also get to wait 2-4 weeks for an appointment to be overcharged.

Long story short, no thanks.

There is just 1 tire shop in NY?
Really?

Well, then waiting for weeks for a SC appointment to get overcharged is what you have knowing chosen, and deserve.
I went to a Goodyear......they have done Teslas ..more and more places are doing electric cars. Don't know what borough you're in. I am in Nassau county

I went to a Goodyear......they have done Teslas ..more and more places are doing electric cars.

There is NOTHING different about electric car wheels and tires install, balancing, and care vs. traditional cars.
Or suspension, or body panels, or paint.
Any shops that claims to SPECIALIZE in EVs is subtly proclaiming that they will surcharge you for owning one.

YMMV,
a

Reactions: 404 Not Found
I tried a tire shop, one that came highly recommended. I bought winter tires and had them mounted there last fall. They broke the tpms sensor, charged me for a new one, and then couldn’t get it to read. Turns out they put in an incompatible sensor. I had to argue with the manager that I paid for the wrong sensor and wanted them to reimburse me, which he eventually only partially agreed to.

Long story short, no thanks. I’ll take it to the SC until I can find a place and a guy I’m comfortable with.
Sorry you went through all of that. Tesla can take care of you. Just bring it in early one day (like tomorrow) and they will escalate since it's important you get it fixed. I recommend at least having an appointment, even if it's a week in the future. You can still go early for these high priority problems, and they told me that it should be ok.

The same thing is true for 12 V replacements because those are also super important when it needs to be done right away (like you received a warning message in the car about it).

Agree with the others on tire shops, but do whatever works for you. If you can be without your M3 while you wait, fine.

Re: cruise control, I take it you’re actually talking about autopilot and not just TACC? I’ve never used Honda’s system but I rented a Toyota that had some sort of lane keep assist and found it very lacking. It made the steering mushy and imprecise and I eventually turned it off because it didn’t help much to keep the car in its lane and actually made it more dangerous by compromising the steering feel.

Reactions: dcfas
Agree with the others on tire shops, but do whatever works for you. If you can be without your M3 while you wait, fine.

Re: cruise control, I take it you’re actually talking about autopilot and not just TACC? I’ve never used Honda’s system but I rented a Toyota that had some sort of lane keep assist and found it very lacking. It made the steering mushy and imprecise and I eventually turned it off because it didn’t help much to keep the car in its lane and actually made it more dangerous by compromising the steering feel.
Yes, on all accounts.

I don't know how long ago you had this trouble, but I think Tesla has done a lot lately to improve Autopilot. Mine works flawlessly in all conditions.

If anyone believes that, I have a barely used bridge for sale onto Manhattan. Real good deal. You will love it - it works flawless in all conditions.

Autopilot is great these days. TACC, not so much.

For me, AP makes exactly the same 3 fatal mistakes today, as it did 5+ years ago when I bought Model 3. Dozens of updates. Zero material improvements to AP.

I also love reading some innocent's anticipation of the "next" software update from Tesla that will finally "fix" AP.
Most grow out of that after a few anticipation->reality cycles.
It is what it is.
🍭

YMMV,
a

If anyone believes that, I have a barely used bridge for sale onto Manhattan. Real good deal. You will love it - it works flawless in all conditions.

For me, AP makes exactly the same 3 fatal mistakes today, as it did 5+ years ago when I bought Model 3. Dozens of updates. Zero material improvements to AP.

I also love reading some innocent's anticipation of the "next" software update from Tesla that will finally "fix" AP.
Most grow out of that after a few anticipation->reality cycles.
It is what it is.
🍭

YMMV,
a
And why would you not believe it? Maybe not for you, but mine does indeed work perfectly and I truly believe it makes hwy driving much safer. Now FSD, is another story. It was neat, but I didn't like it, don't really trust it. I shut it off halfway through my free trial. Autopilot is all I need.