Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving seat got glossy from use. Any way to return it to matt short of replacing trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys!
My 2020 M3P just clocked over 120k km (nearly 75k miles). It is Blue/black.
The car is holding up ok in general, paint will need some work but that will come in spring.
The part that most shows its age now is the driver seat. I most drive alone, so the contrast in aging with the other seats is accentuated.
The seat is turning glossy, which isn't as nice as it was leather...
Any way to restore a bit of the original matt effect on the seat?
Thank you guys!

1668173378542.png

• Funny
Reactions: father_of_6
Is it from hair or skin products? I would guess that whatever caused it will just happen again over time. My take is... the way to fix it is to replace the seat, or at least the seat fabric.

Maybe toss a seat cover on it. Or perhaps now is a good time to add an aftermarket vented seat with a full fabric replacement.

Hi, thank you for chiming in!
It's not due to anything other that getting in and out of the car and sitting in it for prolonged periods of time. Driving over 30k miles per year takes a lot of sitting and rubbing jeans and jumpers!
The wear is homogeneously distributed on the whole seating surface.
Still, since I'm surely not the first person to achieve such mileage in a Model 3, I was confident I would have found other people having the same "issue" as me... But no luck thus far! That's why I'm first and foremost on the lookout for a surface treatment that could help. Most probably other people took better care of their seats than I did, and now I'd like to find out what this care may involve.
I had a look at the process for replacing the polyurethane trims, but that's way too convoluted for myself and most certainly too expensive to outsource.
Tell me more about this aftermarket vented seats though, I may be interested...

Thank you so much for your messages.

The ventilated seats seem pretty intense to install (which I was expecting them to be), that would go far beyond what I’m ready to do to this car... It’s fascinating though that they exist, and a clear sign that people expect such features in this price class.

I’ll order this CarPro PERL, it looks like something that could properly help!
Maybe it will even get rid of a stain I made on the passenger seat with a hand sanitizer...
Has anyone tried it yet on here? I guess I’ll need something to clean the seat properly before applying. I’ll get something from CarPro for that as well and report back on my findings.