Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving the Model S for Uber + Lyft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I understood it back when Uber was a hop topic, they only cover once your insurance denied they claim. Meaning your can't just go to Uber right away. So maybe you get away with it once, but after that have fun getting a car insured again...

Here is one of the navigation bugs. Approaching the Hyatt Regency hotel from the south, it wants you to cross the river twice, potentially getting involved in all sorts of horrible Austin traffic jams... not to mention increasing the duration and distance of the Uber trip, making it worse for riders. The car doesn't seem to realize you can simply turn onto Barton Springs Roads and then turn left into the hotel. It seems to think that turning left into that hotel is impossible... you have to turn right into the entrance Bug!!!
nav_bug1.png

Here is another ridiculous navigation bug. If I want to drive to the Huntsville Supercharger from my home in South Austin, firstly I pull up the list of Superchargers and there you can see it looks to be 135 miles away:
nav_bug2.png

Everything looks as it should. I then select the Huntsville Supercharger and watch as the car plots the route. Unfortunately, instead of driving through (say) Bastrop and Bryan/College Station, it plots this ridiculous 210-mile route via some out-of-the-way town up North and takes me through a variety of unecessary Austin freeways - and leaves me with only 6% battery when I get to Huntsville.
nav_bug3.png

This routing happens every time I try it. it's not a function of time-of-day, day of the week or something that might be affected by traffic conditions. What is causing this sort of problem? Tesla please fix it.

See, this was my plan... Only drive SXSW and F1 week. I'd even take off work for those weeks.

Unfortunately I want to be at the F1 race to watch it! What a conundrum.

And you can imagine my disappointment at the loss of earnings at the 2015 F1 race which was almost rained out, and lots of people were relying on ridesharing following the closure of the waterlogged parking lots.

Here is another ridiculous navigation bug. If I want to drive to the Huntsville Supercharger from my home in South Austin, firstly I pull up the list of Superchargers and there you can see it looks to be 135 miles away:
View attachment 167821
Everything looks as it should. I then select the Huntsville Supercharger and watch as the car plots the route. Unfortunately, instead of driving through (say) Bastrop and Bryan/College Station, it plots this ridiculous 210-mile route via some out-of-the-way town up North and takes me through a variety of unecessary Austin freeways - and leaves me with only 6% battery when I get to Huntsville.
View attachment 167822
This routing happens every time I try it. it's not a function of time-of-day, day of the week or something that might be affected by traffic conditions. What is causing this sort of problem? Tesla please fix it.
Martin,
No question it's a navigation bug, but all of the miles reported in the supercharger list view are straight line miles, not driving miles. For example even the most direct routing on google maps shows 157 miles from Austin to Huntsville.

I've been driving for Uber part time since last June in my Model S 85 in the Seattle area. Everything MartinAustin states is true. Many riders are ecstatic to get to ride in a Tesla and several have literally swooned over it! Again, I would love for the entire Uber Partner app to be on the "big screen" or at least get Waze to work on it. I agree that the Nav. system can lag quite a bit, but it is usually better than my phone, so I keep using it. Come on, Tesla, make things easier for us!
Martin, you said you now have LTE instead of 3G; how did you get it?
JWAmpsOnly

The Tesla Model S qualifies for uberLUX, let's get that straight. But drivers don't automatically qualify... uber perfers to "vet" you over a 50-ride period when you begin. You are restricted to uberX during this time. You start with a perfect rating of 5.0, and you have to receive ratings averaging 4.8 or higher during the first 50 rides to qualify for higher-earning grades - uberSelect and uberLUX specifically. There is no uberBlack in Austin (and my car ain't black), and uberLUX doesn't exist in all cities - I don't pretend to understand the system fully. All I know is what goes on in Austin :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also I do not represent that any kind of driving for uber will cover the initial cost of buying the Tesla Model S - even a CPO car. But... my after-tax uber earnings cover my car payment, electricity and insurance, that's for sure. YMMV
There is no uberLUX in Seattle that I am aware of. I drive either exclusive uberSelect or uberX/UberSelect combined.

I can tell you that anticipation for the Model 3 among Uber riders is high. Many riders already know about it and want to watch the event, and/or order a car, or generally keep track of what is going on with the car and the brand.
Pretty sure Autopilot 2.0 will be out by 2018. Companies like Uber and Lyft will adopt fully autonomous cars in mass scale. Drivers will be out of work a few years after that.

It's funny after pre-ordering my Model 3 on 3/31 I ordered an Uber to take me to work. The driver who picked me up in his Prius had just ordered as well.

He said that he and 7 of his Uber peeps had all got to the mall at 6am to order together (I arrived at 6:10am).

Apparently a ton of the drivers were planning on shifting to Model 3s as soon as possible.

I would love if my next Uber driver had a Model S, I just don't see how the numbers could work out thanks to depreciation.

Reactions: Model S M.D.