Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to BC & Alberta, what network cards are needed for Chademo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on driving from California to Canada as next week. I will drive up the coast to Victoria then go to Vancouver, then Calgary. I see there aren't that many Superchargers in Canada compared to California but I do have a Chademo adapter to use that type of charger.

Do DC charge stations in Canada that aren't Tesla Superchargers have credit card readers on them and do they accept US cards?

Is there any apps I should download ahead of time and add payment info to?

Any other thoughts on this route?

You don't need any Chademo from Vancouver to Calgary. You can use the SuperCharger network just fine. Some of the highways are only rated at 90km/h so you won't be able to go too fast, keeping usage in check.
However, you will want to get the Flo app and if you have enough time, get the Flo card in case the app is down. You have an option to take Highway 3 to Calgary, which has less construction and is more scenic, in my opinion, and the Flo app to use the BC Hydro Chademo chargers might come in handy once or twice. There is a free chademo charger on that stretch too at one of the rest stops.

Great thanks, got the Flo app.

Yes it looks like the route is doable with the SC network but I'd rather just drive around without worrying about how to get to a Supercharger and charge whenever I need to.

How reliable are the Flo chargers in Canada?

Can we offer you some oil instead? Lots of that lying around! haha

There is a Chademo at Canadian Tire on Southland/Macleod trail in the SW. But a lack of SuperChargers and DC, for sure.
The SW is mainly residential and some small commercial shopping outlets. They definitely need a SC in that quadrant.

Is it accurate that there is not a single Chademo or Tesla DC charger in Calgary SW? I don't even see any superchargers in Calgary proper.

Not sure what you're looking at. For Chademo, use Plug Share and make sure you adjust the filter to find Chademo ststions

Not sure what you're looking at. For Chademo, use Plug Share and make sure you adjust the filter to find Chademo ststions

Even if I squint my eyes extra hard I don't see a single Supercharger in Calgary.

Staying in Somerset, the closest Chademo is at Canadian tire Southland. Hopefully it's not too busy otherwise I may be screwed..

Even if I squint my eyes extra hard I don't see a single Supercharger in Calgary.

Staying in Somerset, the closest Chademo is at Canadian tire Southland. Hopefully it's not too busy otherwise I may be screwed..

Unfortunately there is only one Supercharger just north of the city.

Other than the Southland location, there is another CHAdeMO station in Deerfoot Meadows (close to Ikea). You should be fine.

Went and charged at both those stations. Only one dispenser at each but at least it works. Chademo seems slower than usual, but it might be because of the heat on the adapter.

Only saw 1 other Model S in Calgary so far. Surprised there is a service center but no superchargers, and only 5 Chademo for the entire city.

Most people in Calgary who can afford a Tesla own a single detached home with off street parking, so there isn't much need for fast charging (although a new supercharger is in permit stage for SE Calgary off 130 ave). The total number of Electric vehicles in all of Alberta as of March 2021 was only 3,527, but I suspect that number has probably doubled, maybe even quadrupled since then based on how frequently I see Teslas these days.