Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to NYC (Brooklyn) from Boston for a few days...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schwachs

International Man of Leisure
Jan 5, 2018
Arlington, MA
Hey there...

I'm taking the fam to NYC next week for a few days for school vacation, etc.

I was curious for any tips for charging, parking, Tesla friendly hotels, etc...

I won't want to use the car when I'm there but want to make sure it's well cared for and charged up when we leave.

Thanks in advance for any tips, etc...

Several years ago I did a college trip to Boston with my S and chose the Kimpton Marlowe as there was a charger in the garage of the hotel. Today that is not so important. There are 3 Superchargers in Boston that you can easily access. In additon, there are numerous Superchargers between NYC and Boston.

If it were me I would choose the hotel that best fits my needs just as you would do with an ICE vehicle and plan on stopping before I park at one of these SC so that you can leave and arrive at a charger on the way home.

Reactions: Xenius
Many garages have chargers. Depending on where you're staying, you may be able to charge overnight and have no worries. PlugShare and ChargePoint apps can help locate those.

As far as superchargers there's one in Dedham at a Service Center just southwest of the city (free), one in a garage in South Bay (free, minutes to downtown) one in Prudential garage (pay to park) and one in Cambridge, at the galleria, I believe (pay to park)

For NYC, I used SpotHero to find a garage with charger. In Manhattan, many ICON garages seem to have chargers. Additional payment for charging, call garage to schedule the charge. Last time I looked, there was one SuperCharger in Brooklyn.

Consider recharging when you're close to Brooklyn. You can stop at Greenwich South SuperCharger on Merritt Parkway / Rte 15, or Darien South SuperCharger on I-95. Then you can park anywhere. On your return trip, Tesla navigation will optimize your SuperCharge stop(s).

This past January we drove from Philadelphia to a funeral most of the way out Long Island. Then stopped in lower Manhattan for several hours. Recharged in a nearby garage, but it wasn't necessary. Could have easily made it to the Molly Pitcher rest area SuperCharger.

Before the trip I found a Destination charger at a hotel near the cemetery, a Tesla SuperCharger just a few miles away from that, the garage with the charger, and several options along the NJ Turnpike. Used EVTripPlanner to forecast likely charge level at various points on the trip. It was far more than needed, but ensured we felt comfortable that we could easily meet our commitments without stretching our car's range.

Reactions: JPUConn
Corner of 47 and Lex has 2 HPWC right outside the roger smith hotel.

8C054214-521B-418C-BBBA-B481EE92980C.jpeg
1B25A7A6-D602-4644-9B40-3B36C6F6A302.png

You can use the urban SCer at the William Vale hotel in Williamsburg for up to an hour when paying $5. It will get you more than enough range to reach the SCers on CT-15 or -95. Both the Italian restaurant on the ground floor, and the rooftop bar have a great food and drinks menu and are well worth a visit.

Reactions: Schwachs