Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Val D'Isere

I_love_my_dog

Jan 20, 2020
London
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone here had experience driving their Tesla to Val d'Isere in the Alps?

I'm taking my model 3 there in a couple of months, and am wondering what to do about the charging situation.
The apartment that we have booked doesn't have its own parking facility, so we will be reliant on public charging.
My big worry is that with the low temperatures I might get stuck on the mountain :)

Many thanks

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
Hey man, order a ChargeMap RFID card in case you need it for 3rd party chargers. I go to the alps all the time and have no issues using these, ionity (prices will be ridiculous after Feb 1st) and SuperChargers. ChargeMap will show you all the ones available minus the Tesla Destination chargers but you can find those in the Tesla onboard map easily.

I_love_my_dog

Jan 20, 2020
London
Hey man, order a ChargeMap RFID card in case you need it for 3rd party chargers. I go to the alps all the time and have no issues using these, ionity (prices will be ridiculous after Feb 1st) and SuperChargers. ChargeMap will show you all the ones available minus the Tesla Destination chargers but you can find those in the Tesla onboard map easily.
Thank you!

PDB33

May 24, 2018
Oxford, UK
Take chains, start the ascent to Val with a plenty of charge and avoid Saturdays if you can. In the heavy snow late Jan 2018 my coach transfer took 6 hours to get up the hill from Bourg-Saint-Maurice, partly owing to avalanche across the road that required the bulldozer from Val.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Take chains, start the ascent to Val with a plenty of charge and avoid Saturdays if you can. In the heavy snow late Jan 2018 my coach transfer took 6 hours to get up the hill from Bourg-Saint-Maurice, partly owing to avalanche across the road that required the bulldozer from Val.
Chains are a legal requirement of course but personally I favour autosocks (which are an allowed legal alternative to chains in France), though if going for that long i might be tempted to take both since socks might not survive a whole month if used a lot. but for fitting in a layby at night in a snowstorm they are just so much easier. Also, if you don't have winter tyres you can always put the socks on the front and chains on the back. No harm in having traction AND steering :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC