Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Val D'Isere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone here had experience driving their Tesla to Val d'Isere in the Alps?

I'm taking my model 3 there in a couple of months, and am wondering what to do about the charging situation.
The apartment that we have booked doesn't have its own parking facility, so we will be reliant on public charging.
My big worry is that with the low temperatures I might get stuck on the mountain :)

Many thanks

Hey man, order a ChargeMap RFID card in case you need it for 3rd party chargers. I go to the alps all the time and have no issues using these, ionity (prices will be ridiculous after Feb 1st) and SuperChargers. ChargeMap will show you all the ones available minus the Tesla Destination chargers but you can find those in the Tesla onboard map easily.

Hey man, order a ChargeMap RFID card in case you need it for 3rd party chargers. I go to the alps all the time and have no issues using these, ionity (prices will be ridiculous after Feb 1st) and SuperChargers. ChargeMap will show you all the ones available minus the Tesla Destination chargers but you can find those in the Tesla onboard map easily.
Thank you!

Take chains, start the ascent to Val with a plenty of charge and avoid Saturdays if you can. In the heavy snow late Jan 2018 my coach transfer took 6 hours to get up the hill from Bourg-Saint-Maurice, partly owing to avalanche across the road that required the bulldozer from Val.

Take chains, start the ascent to Val with a plenty of charge and avoid Saturdays if you can. In the heavy snow late Jan 2018 my coach transfer took 6 hours to get up the hill from Bourg-Saint-Maurice, partly owing to avalanche across the road that required the bulldozer from Val.
Chains are a legal requirement of course but personally I favour autosocks (which are an allowed legal alternative to chains in France), though if going for that long i might be tempted to take both since socks might not survive a whole month if used a lot. but for fitting in a layby at night in a snowstorm they are just so much easier. Also, if you don't have winter tyres you can always put the socks on the front and chains on the back. No harm in having traction AND steering :)

We are on the way to the Alps tomorrow (Wed23rd Feb). Newcastle-Amsterdam ferry, stopover in Heidelberg, arrive Innsbruck Friday. 8 Days skiing there, then 7 days in Zell am See then a further week where the snow looks good. M3 all prepared with winter tyres, chains, ski rack on the tow ball.........

Well got back safely after 25 days away. Have to say the M3LR was just great. 2,236 miles on the German Autobahn and through Austria. Buzz Rack (from www.roofbox.co.uk) worked perfectly. 298Wh/Mile average for the trip compared to my lifetime value of 268Wh/Mile was not bad at all. Michelin CC2 tyres on all corners. Mind you it was pretty dry all the way there and back which helped the energy consumption. Tested the Buzz Rack (with 3 sets of skis on) at over 100mph (legally on the Autobahn!).

Well got back safely after 25 days away. Have to say the M3LR was just great. 2,236 miles on the German Autobahn and through Austria. Buzz Rack (from www.roofbox.co.uk) worked perfectly. 298Wh/Mile average for the trip compared to my lifetime value of 268Wh/Mile was not bad at all. Michelin CC2 tyres on all corners. Mind you it was pretty dry all the way there and back which helped the energy consumption. Tested the Buzz Rack (with 3 sets of skis on) at over 100mph (legally on the Autobahn!).

That sounds great! I've just come back from Austria too, but flew and had a rental. I was pining for my M3! I saw quite a few around though, a couple with Dutch plates too so there must be more chargers around than I could spot!

Bit late now, didn't see your original ...

I've driven to Alps a few times.

Chains are a legal requirement of course

Gendarmes have been happy with my Winter Tyres in the past (when the road was snow packed all the way up the mountain from Moutier). I made a lot better progress than the people with chains :)

We are rather concerned it is going to take a very very long time
With ICE we used to just change drivers, every couple of hours, except for e.g. lunch. Arrived knackered! Now, stopping every 2 hours-ish for 20 minute leg stretch we arrive in far better shape.

I just use ABetterRoutePlanner (set temperature for e.g. 5C and RAIN if that is likely, and maybe wind=5MPH). On the way out we overnight (because of loss of an hour clock change), and we aim to stop by 7PM to get a decent meal. Choosing a location with a destination charger gets me from, say, 10% to 100% overnight - in practice probably equivalent to two normal stops. That said, for the single-day return journey we stop for lunch for an hour, and that's a 10% to 95+% charge too. Need to be organised enough to arrive at 10% to take advantage of that; at other Supercharger stops I charge to 80% regardless of how little I need to get to the next stop "just in case"

Travelling Flexi on the Chunnel there are a pair of Superchargers at the Calais Flexi Lounge - that is post-customs, so can linger there until shortly before departure (in fact I would skip a train to get a decent charge as the first UK charger, at Maidstone, is likely to be busy with other people coming off the crossing). Pre-customs Superchargers also available, both sides.

alpstrip-gif.782911

alpsstats-gif.782912

alpssoc-gif.782913

This is the return journey. Stop for an hour at 12 noon for lunch, and then at 17:00-ish at the Tunnel (waiting for our train anyway). That leaves the other 3 stops which were about 20 minutes each and 1h30m apart. The car would do 2h30m between stops (i.e. motorway range from, say, 80% to 10% at 130 KPH) but the Superchargers are not conveniently placed to allow that in practice.

Slope of the final leg shows that progress in UK traffic (and 70MPH) considerable slower / less "fuel" than France.

Does anybody have any tips on where to stop and any problems along the way

I've stopped at Macon charger
teslamaconsupercharger-jpg.520316

It is just off autobahn, 20 stalls but absolutely no services there. But there is quite a nice restaurant.

img_6144_m%C3%A2con_supercharger-jpg.520325

The restaurant at Châteauvillain-Orges (North ... maybe shared with South, not sure) services was fine.

I've overnighted at Chateau de Courban (between Troyes and Dijon, bit off the route); Michelin star restaurant.. They let me reserve a destination charger (3x Tesla chargers and 3-phase from memory)

I have plugged into domestic socket (I got a Tesla Schuko adaptor)

img_6143_umc_length-jpg.520320

Garage was a bit tight!

I also charged in an underground carpark (Courcheval). Two green parking bays right by the entrance. Asked the Car park attendant about getting the appropriate card ... "You can get one at Carrefour, or I have one", can't remember the price he charged - EUR 10 perhaps. He got his card, walked to the car, started the charge, and then walked off with his card again :) Mind you I was happy ...

Even with car in (unheated) garage, charging (240V) overnight, the battery was not warmed enough that regen was limited coming down the hill. So some friction brakes used - gained perhaps 2% charge, but if battery had been warm probably would have been more than that.

My trip-report from Feb 2020 if of interest

Reactions: MaxCupR
Charging on the way to and from Austria was simply great. Mostly we we went to Tesla SuperChargers when doing any distance. At one service station I used a public 350kW charger - but really just to see if it worked (it did). In Zell am See where we stayed for one week there was something of a lack of charging but we found a 22kW (11kW for M3) charger that gave use enough top ups when we went for an evening meal. Then moved to Lienz where I have never seen so many electric cars! There were public 22kW and some 150kW+ chargers available.

I have a ChargeMap RFID card which does work, but it is very expensive. Most non-Tesla chargers we found had a Q Code to download their own app for the local service provider. Once registered these worked out around 1/2 the price of the ChargeMap card. However having the ChargeMap card was a good back up just in case the local App did not work or the charger had lost internet connection.

Here is a picture of one of the Tesla Superchargers we stopped at in Germany on the way home - 40 Chargers of which 36 were free!

40 SuperChargers.jpg