Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove the p100d, m3p, and the model y awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my perf 3 but the "shot out a cannon" feeling is nothing like a P100D
I really didn’t think it was that far off from a fun perspective. The model S was indeed awesome, but I’ll be damned if that wasn’t the most boring 10 second quarter mile I ever did. (Still awesome, but about as fun as doing it in a gas car a second slower)

Model S- P acceleration fun -10
Model 3-P fun - 9
Model Y awd - 5

Was expecting the model Y to be like a 7 atleast

I have a question. I was doing some research on buying a model 3, got to searching about stealth model 3.

the model 3 performance I drove had no badging on the back. I don’t remember the wheels. Does that mean I coincidentally drove the stealth model 3, without the performance suspension? That would explain why I didn’t find the handling to be all that great but all the magazines rave about it.

i think I test drove it in 2018

It should say Dual Motor on the back underlined in red. The don't actually say "performance" or anything like that. The red brake calipers is a giveaway as well as the wheels which you mentioned not recalling.
It literally didn’t say anything. There was no dual motor badge. But it definitely had the power of the performance.

this is when I went to the tesla dealer and test drove the m3p, that’s what they put me in. I am very aware of hp and performance, 0-60 was definitely in the 3’s.

I really didn’t think it was that far off from a fun perspective. The model S was indeed awesome, but I’ll be damned if that wasn’t the most boring 10 second quarter mile I ever did. (Still awesome, but about as fun as doing it in a gas car a second slower)

Model S- P acceleration fun -10
Model 3-P fun - 9
Model Y awd - 5

Was expecting the model Y to be like a 7 atleast

I would encourage you to expand your frame so to speak. So much about the model 3 in terms of the basic exellence of its DNA has to do with what BMW claims about their sedans that these are "ultimate driving machines". Of course that is marketing hype and I don't want to replicate BMW's nonsense in talking about the model 3 but what they are getting at is the sense that the car is intimately connected to your inputs and that it gives you intimate feedback about what it's doing dynamically. Sadly, BMW sedans appear to have lost at least in some of their more recent iterations this quality of being an intimately responsive driver's car, but the Model 3 particularly if you're willing to invest a modest amount in tuning up the suspension and wheel/tire complement, really has the responsiveness and dynamics of an exotic or a mid-engined Porsche Cayman. In other words it is among the best handling cars in the world. Guys who track the car and who have tracked other cars will testify to this that there's not much that a properly equipped model 3 can't keep up with in the corners. And it isn't simply about lateral acceleration numbers and G-Force. Again it's about responsiveness, feedback, and the ability to sense and modulate what's going on as the rubber meets the road so to speak, and as you get close to and approach and even in some cases exceed the limits of the traction envelope.

So the focus only on acceleration I think is to miss the best part of the Model 3 driver experience. There are many great things about the car but I would put the handling of my car against any street car out there including Exotics that I've driven. That includes several Ferraris, a really nice Porsche Cayman, and a whole lot of other brands including course BMWs Corvettes, etc etc.

I haven't driven a Model Y Performance version yet but I'm hoping to later today and I'll report back some impressions. Needless to say the track results on that car are pretty damned impressive too, with both Unplugged Performance and Mountain Pass demonstrating that a properly tuned up one can keep up with 993 Porsches GT3s on a road course. For a big heavy sport utility type vehicle with a huge interior that's simply astonishing.

Last edited:
It literally didn’t say anything. There was no dual motor badge. But it definitely had the power of the performance.

this is when I went to the tesla dealer and test drove the m3p, that’s what they put me in. I am very aware of hp and performance, 0-60 was definitely in the 3’s.

In 2018 the cars were not coming with badges yet. Or spoilers for that matter.

My performance was delivered without either of those items in November 2018.

I would encourage you to expand your frame so to speak. So much about the model 3 in terms of the basic exellence of its DNA has to do with what BMW claims about their sedans that these are "ultimate driving machines". Of course that is marketing hype and I don't want to replicate BMW's nonsense in talking about the model 3 but what they are getting at is the sense that the car is intimately connected to your inputs and that it gives you intimate feedback about what it's doing dynamically. Sadly, BMW sedans appear to have lost at least in some of their more recent iterations this quality of being an intimately responsive driver's car, but the Model 3 particularly if you're willing to invest a modest amount in tuning up the suspension and wheel/tire complement, really has the responsiveness and dynamics of an exotic or a mid-engined Porsche Cayman. In other words it is among the best handling cars in the world. Guys who track the car and who have tracked other cars will testify to this that there's not much that a properly equipped model 3 can't keep up with in the corners. And it isn't simply about lateral acceleration numbers and G-Force. Again it's about responsiveness, feedback, and the ability to sense and modulate what's going on as the rubber meets the road so to speak, and as you get close to and approach and even in some cases exceed the limits of the traction envelope.

So the focus only on acceleration I think is to miss the best part of the Model 3 driver experience. There are many great things about the car but I would put the handling of my car against any street car out there including Exotics that I've driven. That includes several Ferraris, a really nice Porsche Cayman, and a whole lot of other brands including course BMWs Corvettes, etc etc.

I haven't driven a Model Y Performance version yet but I'm hoping to later today and I'll report back some impressions. Needless to say the track results on that car are pretty damned impressive too, with both Unplugged Performance and Mountain Pass demonstrating that a properly tuned up one can keep up with 993 Porsches GT3s on a road course. For a big heavy sport utility type vehicle with a huge interior that's simply astonishing.
Expand my mind?
I thought I mentioned this in this thread, maybe not.
Literally the first thing I would do to the m3p is suspension. I think it would be perfect with aftermarket suspension. I did not like the oem suspension. The turn in was nice, mid corner left a lot to be desired, and corner exit was insane. Driving position was great, steering was nice too. I took the m3p to it’s handling limits in multiple scenarios, and I had just got back from vacation which I rented a camaro SS. One of the best handling cars under $100k. So my mental handling standard was high at the time. I honestly was not impressed with the handling of the 3 overall. The camaro was several tiers higher.

acceleration is damn important to me though, particularly the 0-60. Most of my time is spent in suburbia and going through traffic lights and stop signs. The acceleration from a stop is the one performance metric I can explore everday without going to jail or putting other people in danger.

Expand my mind?
I thought I mentioned this in this thread, maybe not.
Literally the first thing I would do to the m3p is suspension. I think it would be perfect with aftermarket suspension. I did not like the oem suspension. The turn in was nice, mid corner left a lot to be desired, and corner exit was insane. Driving position was great, steering was nice too. I took the m3p to it’s handling limits in multiple scenarios, and I had just got back from vacation which I rented a camaro SS. One of the best handling cars under $100k. So my mental handling standard was high at the time. I honestly was not impressed with the handling of the 3 overall. The camaro was several tiers higher.

acceleration is damn important to me though, particularly the 0-60. Most of my time is spent in suburbia and going through traffic lights and stop signs. The acceleration from a stop is the one performance metric I can explore everday without going to jail or putting other people in danger.

Sorry. It appears as though I am preaching to the converted. Didn't know you were that into handling dynamics. Nice to hear though. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the model 3 performance in any kind of traffic. Obviously everybody would love to have 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds or some crazy thing like that but using that level of acceleration in the real world even in an electric vehicle might end up attracting a little bit too much legal attention. You should drive a properly set up performance Model 3 with the MPP sport coilovers. I think you'll love it. Don't scrimp on the tire upgrades though And I think you'll appreciate the dynamic improvements associated with lightweight forged wheels as well. The wheel and tire upgrades really synergize nicely with the extra firmness and dynamic control enhancement in the mpp sport kit.

Sorry. It appears as though I am preaching to the converted. Didn't know you were that into handling dynamics. Nice to hear though. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the model 3 performance in any kind of traffic. Obviously everybody would love to have 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds or some crazy thing like that but using that level of acceleration in the real world even in an electric vehicle might end up attracting a little bit too much legal attention. You should drive a properly set up performance Model 3 with the MPP sport coilovers. I think you'll love it. Don't scrimp on the tire upgrades though And I think you'll appreciate the dynamic improvements associated with lightweight forged wheels as well. The wheel and tire upgrades really synergize nicely with the extra firmness and dynamic control enhancement in the mpp sport kit.
I would kill to drive one with a properly setup suspension. It’s exactly what my plan is. The whole time I was driving it I was thinking about how awesome it would be with coilovers.

I would kill to drive one with a properly setup suspension. It’s exactly what my plan is. The whole time I was driving it I was thinking about how awesome it would be with coilovers.
If you go to any of the threads about MPP coilovers either sport or comfort you should be able to find somebody who's willing to give you a test drive in New Jersey.

M3p has electronic adjustable suspension?

Not exactly. It has software adjustable traction and stability control. If you have a chance to sit in the performance model 3 you can get in track mode and see what configuration options are available. It's actually pretty nice. Sliders for front and rear, degree of intervention/slip angle. Battery and motor thermal state. G-meter circle. Saving of parameters in profiles.

Last edited:
20201211_122552.jpg
20201211_122543.jpg
20201211_122516.jpg

Test Drive of Performance Model Y done today. Thanks out to Michael at Estero Tesla. Had a good chance to wring the car out on a variety of roads for almost an hour.

Some strong impressions:
1) REALLY good fit and finish, consistent panel gaps, excellent paint. Definitely well screwed together. Solid structure, no looseness or rattles. The doors shut even more solidly than my 2 yo car which has had dynamating and other insulation. Real progress on the QC control. Some nice additions on the 2021 Models in terms of a range bump, the chrome delete and the power liftgate. Those are all real pluses.

2) nice ride and handling balance particularly in view of the 35 series tires and the massive 21 inch wheels. Pretty nice for a stock suspension. I was not expecting to be so impressed but it's really nicely set up for a stock suspension. Obviously could be improved but again even if you don't get any coilover kit or other upgrades (where an obvious target would be to reduce unsprung weight from those massive 38/39 pound wheels), it's got a really nice ride and handling balance. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the ride but again I'm used to a pretty firm riding car. It's interesting that they provide the performance model with a staggered Wheel and Tire setup with wider tires and wheels at the rear (275 / 35 -21 on 10.5 inch rims compared to the 255 / 35 21s on the front. Not sure what they did to reduce terminal understeer but perhaps they've fitted a larger rear anti-roll bar or made other adjustments. Understeers a little but not bad.

3) speaking of weight you can really feel the extra 400 pounds. Acceleration is definitely dialed back a discernible notch from a Model 3 Performance. I know the numbers aren't that different (four tenths zero to 60 times) but it doesn't have quite the surge that my car has and subjectively it feels like a larger Gap than what the stats would suggest. Car is clearly heftier and you can feel that both in handling and in acceleration. But they managed to preserve much of the Model 3's DNA in terms of it feeling still lighter than its 4400 pounds. Still, I am really surprised the Model Y is able to get within sniffing distance of Model 3 lap times. I'm not sure how that's possible but the numbers speak for themselves. Dynamically it's just a clear notch down from the Model 3. Not surprising again, as this is after all 400 lb heavier with no more power and the extra Tire really doesn't quite make up for the extra weight.

4) back seat is definitely roomier but I still felt the seat was set too low just like in the Model 3. It looks like they wanted to give max headroom but I wish that they would either allow the seat to be adjustable in terms of the height of the bench, or had set the bench a little higher as a default. Trunk is enormous. Clearly a more practical vehicle overall but you do trade significant sportiness

So now that I've driven a performance Model S, a performance Model Y, and a performance Model 3, how would I rate them? Well the performance Model S obviously wins every drag race hands down and fairly easily. But it loses pretty clearly and pretty significantly on vehicle dynamics and handling even if you're comparing stock to stock, and it loses on value to both the Model 3 and the Model Y, and it also loses because it's got now discernibly older technology both in terms the battery and cooling system and suspension, with those in my estimation only really partially mitigated by its excellent range. But I'd take my car on a road trip over a new Model S any day of the week even though I have to stop more often. It's just a whole lot more fun to drive even though it's not as quick.

I did hear from Michael at Estero Tesla that the Plaid will in fact have a redesigned chassis. Or at least that's what he has heard himself. So we'll see whether that update is enough to make it dynamically competitive with Model 3. The Model Y wins on practicality and room and for sure on value, but loses a bit on dynamics and performance but it's still way more fun to drive than a Model X or even Model S, but again wins on value in relationship to perhaps both the Model 3 and Model S. Model 3 wins on dynamics where is clearly the hands-down winner in the group, and is a close second in overall value and practicality.

So I think in the end it depends on what particular virtues matter the most to you. If you want sporty driving and you don't want to spend a boatload of money the Model 3 is still the best value out there and has the best tuning options to make it even sportier. And it's decent at carrying people and other stuff with good space utilization even if it doesn't have the space of the Model Y. If you need more cargo and carrying capacity the Model Y is a great value and preserves much of the sporty DNA of the Model 3 and also looks to have a lot of support for performance upgrades to suspension and brakes. If you have to have the drag race champ get a Model S or better yet wait for the Plaid. It will be interesting to see what they've done besides put Rocket Motors in it and the new battery Tech. It badly needs a suspension refresh.

Last edited:
This is good stuff. We have the model Y AWD for the business but I really love it as a personal vehicle. I agree 100 percent that it does not have that punch but I sure feel it keeps pulling at speed. Our Model X is 13.2 sec at the track and I know the model Y should be slower however it ran 12.9 at 111 mph. I was very impressed. Now with the acceleration boost available it may feel more punchy off the line.

Good to hear some exciting news on the Plaid. Holding out to make the purchase or to put one on order until I it comes out. Here's hoping they keep the model 3 steering wheel in play. Love that wheel on the MY. Not sure what you can do with that S being a heavy ass car though. They sure have a lot of work to make it as fun to drive as the 3/Y.

Reactions: dfwatt