Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual chargers issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I can really use your feedback with this issue: my 2013 Model S can only receive supercharging ever since the dual chargers stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I have received 2 diagnoses from 2 service centers. A service rep at the first service center gave me a verbal estimate of $1700 to fix the issue, but he did not get into specifics regarding which of the 2 chargers was faulty. I held off on starting the repair at that time.
A week later, I was at a different service center for an emergency repair (the arch liner inside one of the wheel wells had partially detached), so I requested diagnostics and a written estimate for the repair of the dual chargers. The estimate came back at $3775 (not including tax). The breakdown was $175 for the diagnostics and $3600 for a remanufactured first generation master charger.
When I spoke to a service assistant, he explained that it was my “slave” charger that was faulty and required replacement. I told him that I was having a very difficult time wrapping my head around the estimate. When I ordered my vehicle back in April of 2013, the dual charging was a $1500 option that I had elected to have. I cannot fathom how the cost for replacing one of these chargers is more than double the original cost. Additionally, I would be getting a remanufactured charger when a brand new charger was priced at $2000 (uninstalled). At the $175/hour labor rate, the estimate suggests that this would be a repair requiring at least 9 hours. I did not receive any kind of an insightful or meaningful reply from the rep, who did not come across as fully knowledgeable. I did not want to escalate the situation, so I declined the repair with the intention of doing further research into this matter with the hopes of finding other options. In the mean time, I will have to rely on supercharging on a daily basis since I drive 95-120 miles each day.
In my research (conducted primarily on this invaluable forum, as well as the Tesla forum), I came across a few postsmentioning the option of reconfiguring the dual chargers to a single charger. There were also YouTube video tutorials forrepairing a faulty charger...(to be continued)

I am ruling out the DIY option as this is my only vehicle and I am not technically savvy enough to attempt a repair of this magnitude. The reconfiguring option that I came across in a few postings appear to be the most feasible option. I will be totally fine with having a single charger as I only charge at 40 amps anyway. (In retrospect, it was a mistake to opt for the dual chargers since I only charge at either 40 amps or I’m supercharging.)
So far, I have not had any luck when I tried to pursue this reconfiguration option. I remember seeing at least one post where the poster said he had his charger reconfigured by Tesla. No Tesla employee that I had spoken with so far has said that reconfiguring is an option.
If anyone out there was able to get their dual chargers reconfigured, please let me know how you went about it. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Jim

They didn't volunteer the information, maybe because you asked to have the broken part repaired? Maybe they thought that since you paid for the option, you needed the dual chargers.

I would contact them and ask specifically if it can be "downgraded".

I've seen other cases where tesla just removed the slave charger, reconfigured the car as a single, and all is good. They will refuse to confugure it back to dual chargers if you fix your faulty slave unit though. Sell the faulty one to pay for it all, someone else will fix it and use it.

Reactions: boaterva
They didn't volunteer the information, maybe because you asked to have the broken part repaired? Maybe they thought that since you paid for the option, you needed the dual chargers.

I would contact them and ask specifically if it can be "downgraded".
BerTX, I actually did request the “downgrade” to a single charger, and the technician I spoke with said that Tesla doesn’t “operate” that way. The tech said that since the car was originally configured for dual charging, their guideline is to restore the dual charging functionality. A service rep also gave me a similar response. Another tech said that I might need to go “higher up” in the chain of command to request that encryption be sent from headquarters to “deactivate/reconfigure” charging. This is where I’m headed next. Thank you for your feedback BerTX.

BerTX, I actually did request the “downgrade” to a single charger, and the technician I spoke with said that Tesla doesn’t “operate” that way. The tech said that since the car was originally configured for dual charging, their guideline is to restore the dual charging functionality. A service rep also gave me a similar response. Another tech said that I might need to go “higher up” in the chain of command to request that encryption be sent from headquarters to “deactivate/reconfigure” charging. This is where I’m headed next. Thank you for your feedback BerTX.
Sounds like you still have options, hope it all gets worked out at a reasonable cost.

I've seen other cases where tesla just removed the slave charger, reconfigured the car as a single, and all is good. They will refuse to confugure it back to dual chargers if you fix your faulty slave unit though. Sell the faulty one to pay for it all, someone else will fix it and use it.
Chaserr, I will be ecstatic if a Tesla service center within the tri state area (or even slightly farther away) agrees to do what you described. I did not fully understand the implications of dual charging when I elected this option. My charging history since taking delivery of my car in July of 2013 has been either 40 amp charging or Supercharging, with just a small handful of 80 amp charging. That being said, I would guess that between my two onboard chargers, the one that is not faulty is practically unused.

Sounds like you still have options, hope it all gets worked out at a reasonable cost.
Thanks BerTX. I’ll post an update on Friday after I speak with the service manager. While dealing with this dual chargers issue over the last 3 weeks, an unrelated issue with the 12 volt battery surfaced and the car will be in the shop this Friday for a new battery. At over 136,000 miles, I have to brace myself every time I bring the car in for maintenance.