Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Tesla Households: Trade UMC for HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Being a Model S owner and Model X reservation holder got me thinking....Tesla should allow dual Model S/X/3 owners to trade-in the included new UMC on their second vehicle for an HPWC. My wife wants to keep the UMC in her Model X. I don't carry the UMC with me unless I'm going out of range. So, I wonder if Tesla would allow me to trade-in the UMC for an HPWC (up-charge welcome) and then have that permanently mounted in the garage with our one UMC in the X and I can borrow the UMC if I ever need it. No need for two UMCs really. Thoughts?

I guess I can buy an HPWC and sell the brand new UMC......my cost would only be the difference.

I have two homes, and two Model S's. Usually one Model S per home, and I fly between them. Because of logistics (and visiting Model S's), there are sometimes two Model S's at one home or the other.

I have an HPWC on a full 100 Amp breaker, delivering 80 Amps to the car, and a 14-50 on a 50 Amp breaker, delivering 40 Amps when a UMC is connected in each home. Both Model S's have dual chargers. Normally, each Model S has its UMC inside the car with the adapters. When there are two Model S's at one house, one of the UMC's comes out so both cars can be charged.

Even as more Superchargers are installed and more EVSE's appear, charging flexibility is key in these pioneering days of EV use. My strong advice is to keep both UMC's and buy an HPWC. If you have the power available, put in a 14-50 and the HPWC on a 100 Amp breaker. The one time in the next several years that you forgot to put a UMC in the correct car and need it will be well worth the $650 that you might get for the extra UMC.

I think that dual chargers are also an important option with more and more 80 Amp EVSE's going in due to Tesla's Destination Charging program.