Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dumb question about mobile app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding the mobile app incredibly confusing - and can't help thinking I'm being an idiot.

When I open it up, below the picture of the car there are a series of icons (lock, fan, etc).

Does the state of the icon show the current state of the car, or the state in will go to if I tap the icon ? For example, the lock icon now shows the lock closed (the hasp is inserted into the body). Does this mean the car is locked, or does it mean it's un-locked and it's indicating that tapping the icon will lock it ?!? I was hoping maybe the mirrors would fold in (in the picture of the car) to let me know the current state for sure, but they do not move.

Ditto for the doors, rear gate, frunk.

I'm finding the mobile app incredibly confusing - and can't help thinking I'm being an idiot.

When I open it up, below the picture of the car there are a series of icons (lock, fan, etc).

Does the state of the icon show the current state of the car, or the state in will go to if I tap the icon ? For example, the lock icon now shows the lock closed (the hasp is inserted into the body). Does this mean the car is locked, or does it mean it's un-locked and it's indicating that tapping the icon will lock it ?!?

Ditto for the doors, rear gate, frunk.
The icons indicate the current state of the Tesla vehicle. A closed lock hasp means the vehicle is currently locked. The fan icon becomes illuminated (white) when the Climate Control is turned on. The lightning bolt illuminates when charge port is open. The lightning bolt illuminates (green) when the vehicle is charging. The front trunk (frunk) hood indicates whether latched or unlatched.

The vehicle graphic will update when the front hood or rear hatch is open. Also if any of the doors are open. There is currently no ability to fold the mirrors manually using the Tesla app. If you have the mirrors set to fold automatically every time the vehicle is locked the graphic may update to display folded mirrors.

You can customize the vehicle control icons that appear on the main screen of the Tesla app by pressing and holding any of the four default icons. (There is a trick so that the app will display a fifth vehicle control icon on the main screen.)

Last edited: