Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyno Results for Model S refresh LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla: mission accomplished.
That was my thought too, they gimped the LR to force an upgrade to the Plaid. If the LR had actually met its claimed 0-60 times, I probably would have kept mine. They didn't get my business. Once they dropped USS, I didn't care about HW4 as much as USS so I looked for a 2022 with USS and the latest refreshes.

If they don't ultimately replace USS with something that works as well, or better, I am never buying another new Tesla. I don't care if FSD can drive me to the moon and back, I'll use USS more than I'd ever use FSD. AP already handles 99% of what I need.

Reactions: aerodyne and AMPd
That was my thought too, they gimped the LR to force an upgrade to the Plaid. If the LR had actually met its claimed 0-60 times, I probably would have kept mine. They didn't get my business. Once they dropped USS, I didn't care about HW4 as much as USS so I looked for a 2022 with USS and the latest refreshes.

If they don't ultimately replace USS with something that works as well, or better, I am never buying another new Tesla. I don't care if FSD can drive me to the moon and back, I'll use USS more than I'd ever use FSD. AP already handles 99% of what I need.
what was

More I think about more I am tempted to do the same but at the same time maybe I'll just wait for the new redesign. Do you know if the advertised HP is to the wheel? Thanks!

Tesla seems to be pretty legit with their claimed HP. I know when the Plaid first came out, they had issues running it on a dyno. I believe DragTimes was the first to try that I am aware of and it was hopping all over the dyno like it was about to fly off. About a year ago another group strapped one to hub dynos. I think it put down something like 1100 HP to the hubs which was more than claimed but TQ was about 10% less.

Not sure if Tesla is claiming at the motors or at the wheels for their HP/TQ numbers. The hub measurements would typically have a reading a bit more than at the wheels and less than at the "crank".

Here is the hub dyno run.

Reactions: itch808 and Sam1
More I think about more I am tempted to do the same but at the same time maybe I'll just wait for the new redesign. Do you know if the advertised HP is to the wheel? Thanks!
It's to the wheel + some. In an ICE car you peak on the HP and back down quickly. The plaid is the first car I've ever seen with peak power for nearly the entire powerband, and this is from over 30 years experience with racing. The HP plot from the chart on the video above is just mind-boggling still after a year of seeing it.

<edit> for random reference, a lot of shops with typical roller dynos won't even dyno a plaid because the power comes on so fast, they like to try to jump off the dyno. No one in Vegas would do it for me. The one shop that initially said they would I guess watched a YT video and then called back and said they wouldn't do it either.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 6.45.01 AM.png

What is very interesting is if you plot the road speed vs HP/TQ. It isn't hitting peak HP until about 70 mph.

I would love to see another dyno run on a car that has the track pack and the unlocked speed limiter.

1690120675755.png

Reactions: Sam1

It comes down to what you ultimately want. For me, I needed a long range commuter car for which the LR is perfect. I actually value the new side cameras as they allow me to see multiple lanes for quick changes due to wider lens.

I don't use FSD so agree 4.0 isn't useful, though at some point I may subscribe if the beta ever comes out of beta. Let's see how true the 12.0 promise is.

If 0-60 is important to you, then I get why you'd be pissed.

Reactions: aerodyne
It comes down to what you ultimately want. For me, I needed a long range commuter car for which the LR is perfect. I actually value the new side cameras as they allow me to see multiple lanes for quick changes due to wider lens.

I don't use FSD so agree 4.0 isn't useful, though at some point I may subscribe if the beta ever comes out of beta. Let's see how true the 12.0 promise is.

If 0-60 is important to you, then I get why you'd be pissed.
Be curious to see what difference the side cameras make. I've adjusted my side mirrors so that there is almost no overlap with the rear window. I don't have all 3 mirrors giving me some view of the same car behind me. This allows me to easily see beside me in the car and minimized blind spots.

I didn't care if the LR was Plaid quick, I just wanted it to run its claimed times. When I lived in Florida, I was spending more time on the highways and the midrange pull of the LR was very satisfying. I moved to Texas and I spend a lot more time taking off from stops and the LR is just so soft here, that it just drove me crazy. I paid for the extra tenths of seconds 0-60 that I didn't get and every day I would be disappointed again and again.

Now that I've used the track mode and have the track pack brakes, it would be hard to go back to the LR where I live. The LR was a very good car and I felt it handled better than the Plaid (when not in track mode). Torque vectoring in track mode makes the Plaid feel like it shed 1,000 pounds.

The LR was a great bargain for what you did get at first. When they dropped the price of the Plaid, it definitely made the Plaid a lot more tempting.

What is very interesting is if you plot the road speed vs HP/TQ. It isn't hitting peak HP until about 70 mph.

I would love to see another dyno run on a car that has the track pack and the unlocked speed limiter.

View attachment 958853
Correct, the dyno chart Tesla released the day of the plaid announcement, it says the plaid launches at 400hp and ramps up to full power around 60mph

I would bet the LR is similar in that respect. That is exactly how it feels when you drive it.
It would be great if Sandy could tear down the drive units on an MSLR and maybe a battery pack too?

I would assume it's using the same new 22S72P (as the plaid has) modules instead of the older 6S86P and that's why there's a ton more top end now. But no clue if the drive units themselves have been modified as well with those new laminates that supposedly reduce interference/more efficient at higher RPM.

When I was researching this earlier, the battery packs were supposed to be the same between LR and Plaid. That is why I think you are spot on with having the better top end power. It was one of the reasons I went with the LR. How that also played out is the LR basically never faded between runs and was still very strong at low SoC's.

If it could supply the 1k HP of the Plaid, the 670 of the LR would be simple. I made lots of runs back to back in my LR and it never slowed down.

Reactions: Sam1
When I was researching this earlier, the battery packs were supposed to be the same between LR and Plaid. That is why I think you are spot on with having the better top end power. It was one of the reasons I went with the LR. How that also played out is the LR basically never faded between runs and was still very strong at low SoC's.

If it could supply the 1k HP of the Plaid, the 670 of the LR would be simple. I made lots of runs back to back in my LR and it never slowed down.
1/4 mile runs? results for the LR?