Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyno Results for Model S refresh LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they don't ultimately replace USS with something that works as well, or better, I am never buying another new Tesla. I don't care if FSD can drive me to the moon and back, I'll use USS more than I'd ever use FSD. AP already handles 99% of what I need.
Why so hung up on USS? I have them on my '22 MSLR and frankly, I've never bothered to give much credit to them in the MS or any other car I've driven. What the MS is REALLY missing is a front bumper camera. That would make USS completely irrelevant.

I use the USS every day on the 3 and the S. If they weren't on the 3, my wife would have smashed the bumper repeatedly. Very helpful in parallel parking situations. Why shouldn't a 100k+ car have the tech that even a 30k Ford does? I am tired of making excuses for Tesla.

Cameras have limitations too. What I like about USS is I can listen to the audible warnings and keep my head out of the cockpit for the most part when parking. The USS also do a good job with the corners of the car. As additional insurance, I do have a bumper cam which nicely complements the USS and on its own isn't as useful as the USS for most of my parking.

This made me realize that if had the new system (without USS) and had to rely on just a bumper cam, it would help not be as useful as what I have now. Everyone's use case is different. Tesla took steps backward to save costs with the impact borne by the end user. I would have gladly paid more to retain it. Make it an option and I've have been onboard with going HW4 and better cameras. As it is, they lost a new sale and my future business until they have something as good, or better, as the USS they replaced.

Maybe you weren't around for when they ripped out radar and told us Tesla Vision was going to be awesome back in 2021. Cars with radar worked better for me than my car solely based on TeslaVision. I am not a Tesla Kool-Aid drinker. They are racing to the bottom in many ways and if I wanted an electric Yugo, I'd buy a Chevy Bolt. Elon will keep cutting costs to maximize profit until it impacts the user experience so badly that people stop buying Teslas. For me the removal of USS and no compelling replacement is where I get off the elevator going to the bottom. I may buy back in if they have a superior replacement at some point assuming they don't de-content other areas too much.

I use the USS every day on the 3 and the S. If they weren't on the 3, my wife would have smashed the bumper repeatedly. Very helpful in parallel parking situations. Why shouldn't a 100k+ car have the tech that even a 30k Ford does? I am tired of making excuses for Tesla.

Cameras have limitations too. What I like about USS is I can listen to the audible warnings and keep my head out of the cockpit for the most part when parking. The USS also do a good job with the corners of the car. As additional insurance, I do have a bumper cam which nicely complements the USS and on its own isn't as useful as the USS for most of my parking.

This made me realize that if had the new system (without USS) and had to rely on just a bumper cam, it would help not be as useful as what I have now. Everyone's use case is different. Tesla took steps backward to save costs with the impact borne by the end user. I would have gladly paid more to retain it. Make it an option and I've have been onboard with going HW4 and better cameras. As it is, they lost a new sale and my future business until they have something as good, or better, as the USS they replaced.

Maybe you weren't around for when they ripped out radar and told us Tesla Vision was going to be awesome back in 2021. Cars with radar worked better for me than my car solely based on TeslaVision. I am not a Tesla Kool-Aid drinker. They are racing to the bottom in many ways and if I wanted an electric Yugo, I'd buy a Chevy Bolt. Elon will keep cutting costs to maximize profit until it impacts the user experience so badly that people stop buying Teslas. For me the removal of USS and no compelling replacement is where I get off the elevator going to the bottom. I may buy back in if they have a superior replacement at some point assuming they don't de-content other areas too much.
I'm intrigued about your bumper cam. What model did you purchase? I'm assuming that it's a wireless setup that you manually active with a switch. With my 2023 S LR, I have to do without USS that my 2021 3 has and which was terrific especially when parallel parking at night in inclement weather. Having grown up in the city, I learned to parallel park with NO CAMERAS back in the day when I had a 1997 Camry. But it's a nice feature to have for sure given how inexpensive the tech is. I'd happily live with an aftermarket bumper cam on my new S.

I used this one. Very easy to install. It automatically turns one when you first turn on the car if the monitor is plugged into the cigarette lighter. An easy button push and it is back on. The camera has a battery pack that runs for about 2-3 months (less if cold). It is zip tied to the grill on my car with no issues. I just take a small battery pack to recharge it from time to time. It takes a USB cable to charge it.

Reactions: dsc888
I used this one. Very easy to install. It automatically turns one when you first turn on the car if the monitor is plugged into the cigarette lighter. An easy button push and it is back on. The camera has a battery pack that runs for about 2-3 months (less if cold). It is zip tied to the grill on my car with no issues. I just take a small battery pack to recharge it from time to time. It takes a USB cable to charge it.

Thanks for the link! This is such a great idea. It's small price to pay to keep your bumper in the best possible condition. Would you happened to have a pic of where exactly you mounted yours? I know it's attached the the lower grill. Thanks again!

Thanks for the link! This is such a great idea. It's small price to pay to keep your bumper in the best possible condition. Would you happened to have a pic of where exactly you mounted yours? I know it's attached the the lower grill. Thanks again!
See attached. I hope this helps. It was dark in the garage so hard to get a good shot. You can rotate the lens up and down to finetune the view.

IMG_1428.jpg

See attached. I hope this helps. It was dark in the garage so hard to get a good shot. You can rotate the lens up and down to finetune the view.

View attachment 961099
Interesting. When I said camera > USS I meant from the understanding that a camera would catch the front edge of the bumper. If no part of the car is included in the frame for reference, I agree it is of little utility. Can you see the lower edge of your front lip with this mount? The front camera in our X3 is mounted in the grill above the front bumper, so it's 100% effective in confirming clearance between the bumper and a fixed object.

After mounting, you can adjust the camera to get what view you want in a vertical plane. In addition, it has guidelines as well. It has a pretty wide angle, and I have the FOV set so that I can tell the proximity of the front spoiler to anything immediately in front of it. Between this and the USS, I have most areas covered. The USS does a pretty good job of "watching" the corners. I am very happy with the price and how well the camera works.

After mounting, you can adjust the camera to get what view you want in a vertical plane. In addition, it has guidelines as well. It has a pretty wide angle, and I have the FOV set so that I can tell the proximity of the front spoiler to anything immediately in front of it. Between this and the USS, I have most areas covered. The USS does a pretty good job of "watching" the corners. I am very happy with the price and how well the camera works.
Thanks for the pic and this report. This is the final missing piece of the equation when parking. Your installation is clean and looks like it came from the factory.

Where exactly did you mount the display in your car?

Thanks for the pic and this report. This is the final missing piece of the equation when parking. Your installation is clean and looks like it came from the factory.

Where exactly did you mount the display in your car?
I am still working through that. At the moment I keep it in the console for easy access as there aren't that many places I need it as the USS works very well for me. I bought some metal rings though I will glue them on the back and use it on a Magsafe style mount when I get around to it. I have one of these style mounts on my main screen.

When I am using it, I just lay it on the charging tray for the phone. It comes with a mount, but it uses a suction cup. I have tint on my windshield so that is a no-go.

Bumping an old thread, but has anyone managed to dyno one of these? And ideally do we have a break down of the power curve between the front and rear motors? I was surprised to learn that the MSLR rear drive unit is the same part number as the M3P/MYP rear drive unit (the so called "980" motor). Is the improved high speed acceleration entirely due to the front motor? Or does the higher voltage improve the power curve that much?

Reactions: cptnslo
Not that I am aware of. Since dumping my MSLR for the Plaid, I still think about this occasionally. If the gearing is what killed the acceleration off the line, it might not matter what you do to some extent.

Looking at the Plaid's power curve, it really mirrors what I felt in acceleration with my MSLR. If you look at it below, it is still ramping up to about 60 mph where you finally get peak power. The previous 'P' versions while lower in power, also peaked at a lower speed.

SInce I haven't seen a dyno run on the MSLR, I'd probably take the one below and adjust the Plaids numbers and drop them about 35% can call it a day. Just food for thought.

1703821824184.png

So I managed to do a quick and dirty data log on a model X LR upto about 100mph

Power vs Speed
1708488292895.png

Power / Torque vs RPM (note this is a rough calculation using tire sizes and gear ratios to work back to RPM)
1708488303648.png

I suspect the front motor is being limited a fair bit at lower speeds, but hard to say for sure if that's the case vs just being the natural limit of the motor.

Will try to grab Plaid data in coming days.

Last edited:
And Plaid (~75% SoC). Note I think all 3 motors dropped power in that 40-60 mph range, but the logger didn't catch it on the other motors. Probably traction control kicking in.

That flat power curve from 60 is something else

1708568394263.png

Reactions: byeLT4
Only for the Performance / Plaid models. The regular ones don't quote rollout.

Even if they don't, that is the standard in the US. i.e. if you compare the MSP the MSLR with 1 foot deducted, the MSLR is probably beating it's 0-60 while the Plaid almost never gets 1.99. In fact, I've never seen a Plaid actually get 1.99. I've seen like 2.05.

The MSLR is as fast to 60 as my P85D (before I upgraded to L) was which was quoted at 3.1 with the rollout.