Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyson plans to launch electric car in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dyson's is not an aristocratic title, its a recognition of achievement - be that charity, entertainment, employment generation, whatever ... I don't know about such awards in USA but I imagine its similar to the USA Congressional Gold Medal / Presidential Medal of Freedom, or a lesser variant of those.

The "Sir" title is a Knighthood awarded by the Monarch of the United Kingdom.

There has always been a romantic justification as to why aristocratic titles are awarded.

We don't have such things in a Republic.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If that is the case someone should have called the bambulance in Chicagoland long ago.

I'm just wondering now because I'm curious, is Rob Stark a game of thrones character or something? Or is that Ned Stark? Anyway, is that why you hate monarchist titles? I can't figure out if it is a play on words or is it more that you find it super annoying when everyone assumes you are a Game of Thrones fan and asks if you know the mother of dragons. Just wondering.

As an Englishman, the only ones who should be given a knighthood are... knights.

Don't even get me started on the types of people who have been given titles in modern times.

Back to the topic, seems like its going to be made in the far east, China or Malaysia, and the 1st model will be only a few thousand. The company isn't publically listed, don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

The "Sir" title is a Knighthood awarded by the Monarch of the United Kingdom.

That's just to give it some gravitas ... presumably the President of a Republic also bestows honours personally, although here you might get your honour from a more minor royal. The people who receive the honours are decided, in the main, by a public committee, and not the whim of the Monarch! although there are awards that are definitely cronyism - an outgoing Prime Minster bestows honours on whomever they like, for example. No doubt cr@p like that also exists in a Republic ...

Knighthood is only useful for getting a good table in a restaurant ...

Knighthood not to be confused with Baronetcy of course ... both assume the title Sir but the later is aristocracy. All their forebears had good tables in restaurants too ...

It's Sir James Dyson, by the way...
As an Englishman, the only ones who should be given a knighthood are... knights.

Don't even get me started on the types of people who have been given titles in modern times.
That's just to give it some gravitas ... presumably the President of a Republic also bestows honours personally,
although here you might get your honour from a more minor royal.

The people who receive the honours are decided, in the main, by a public committee, and not the whim of the Monarch!
although there are awards that are definitely cronyism - an outgoing Prime Minister bestows honours on whomever they like,
for example. No doubt cr@p like that also exists in a Republic ...

Knighthood is only useful for getting a good table in a restaurant ...

Knighthood not to be confused with Baronetcy of course ... both assume the title Sir but the later is aristocracy.
All their forebears had good tables in restaurants too ...
Some people also prefer declining such title, such as Jean Le Carre (David Cornwell),
may be because they are proud about their humble social origin, and more comfortable with it .

See extracts from this article: John le Carré: The Biography — Central Intelligence Agency

By the 1980s Cornwell was one of Britain’s premier authors with comfortable homes in Cornwall and London,
though still something of an iconoclast. He declined a CBE (Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)
and a knighthood with the comment, “Titles do disagreeable things to people . . . I prefer to stay outside the tent.”

He also asked that his name be withdrawn from the shortlist for the Man Booker Prize for fiction, noting,
“I do not compete for literary prizes.” He did accept an honorary doctorate from Oxford.

I visited some of Dyson's show rooms, in New York and San Francisco, strategically located near an Apple store...
It would certainly be a good location to display some future inventions, especially in the areas of transportation sustainability.

New York Dyson Show Room
Dyson NY.jpg

San Francisco Dyson Show Room
Dyson SF.jpg

I am sure they will figure out Solid state batteries, but it will be a decade away and when they do, who knows where Lithium Ion will be. My guess is that it will still be competitive with solid state or graphine or whatever battery comes out for at least another decade and maybe another decade beyond that. It very well could be that Solid state batteries are only used for certain devices like Airplanes or Cellphones and traditional Lithium ion is best for cars because of the massive capacity that is being built out today. Think about it like this.. Fast forward to 2028 when 2TWh or more of battery cells a year are being manufactured. How the heck can you switch that to Solid State overnight? You cant.. It will take 10 years and much of the Lithium Ion capacity will still be online because of the millions of cars and storage systems that will need new packs every 10-15 years or so. Tesla will probably swell its old Gigafactories to a battery replacement and recycling company and move on to the next big battery breakthrough, but it will be in 10+ years, not next year.

Reactions: NeverFollow