Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP and FSD: how and when will their paths diverge.

Will EAP cars be upgraded with hardware 3 chips? (HW3)

• Yes, I think so.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No, I really doubt it.

Votes: 41 77.4%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I misread the poll. EAP cars will get the HW3 chip but only if they purchase FSD of course. Not without it.

In terms of divergence, yes EAP and FSD will diverge with HW3. I expect that divergence to happen towards the end of this year/early next year. I expect EAP to remain at the current level of features and capabilities. It won't get much better than what we have now. FSD will eventually get far better than EAP since it will have more features (traffic light feature, automatic city driving) plus be more reliable and quicker to act.
I see what you mean. I was thinking that once you purchase FSD your car becomes an FSD car. It only remains an EAP car if you don't purchase FSD.

Reactions: diplomat33
Right we don’t know. But I do not believe it is tied to FSD orders which I just did. My car was already built a few weeks before my order processed and it has HW3. Built end of June (like 30th).

To the best of my knowledge, all cars since Elon's announcement with AP2.5 hardware have been cars that didn't buy FSD in the initial configuration, so in that sense I believe it is tied.

(Which makes business sense, because they know they'd have to upgrade the FSD cars later if they were given AP2.5 hardware.)

Certainly there are a lot of cars that didn't buy FSD and still got AP3 computers, and in the long term that'll be every car.

But in the mean time, Tesla seems to be either burning excess stock or filling in shortages by installing AP2.5 computers in some of the cars without FSD.

AFAIK, they are already different. Automatic lane changing and NoP are in FSD, not EAP.

The Enhanced Autopilot package (which is no longer available) has both automatic lane change and Navigate on Autopilot. There is one remaining feature to be delivered, enhanced summon, at which point EAP will be feature complete. Anything new beyond that is "FSD". The first likely feature in that camp would seem to be stop light detection.

I think older cars without HW3 are stuck with EAP pretty much as it exists now, plus the new Summon. No new computer. Minor improvements in the future.

HW3 cars could be an exception. Basic AP could run on HW3 as a crippled FSD. That would give Tesla a more unified software build, with AP/FSD enabled as a simple software flag. That would provide better safety as well, and a smarter AP, with better object recognition and driving behavior. That makes sense to me, and was my case for waiting for HW3 or upgrading to FSD even if you didn't care about FSD. But maybe Tesla will maintain completely separate software builds for AP and EAP versus FSD, maintaining a wider gap between AP and FSD, and no difference between AP/EAP behavior on old hardware or HW3.

With FSD on HW3 I fully expect basic AP (when you are driving) to use FSD software. That should handle (eventually) all the cases we'd like AP to handle now, and provide better emergency braking, but allow you to control the car as much as you want. Tesla could use the old limited AP software, but why bother?

Reactions: Saghost