Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop on car - Resetting the price on FSD - Anyone else feeling this is highly disingenuous on Tesla's part?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"Until the software version containing the fix is available, we have paused the rollout of FSD Beta to all who have opted-in but have not yet received a software version containing FSD Beta."

Doesn't sound like increasing the price of FSD is on the agenda at the moment. As a matter of fact, if this ruling

then this is the best thing that has happened to Tesla in the last six years. Maybe they will scale back the offering for the time being and roll out some less glamorous but pretty useful stuff like parking assists? Project Vision USS :)

I can absolutely, positively, guarantee you that this ruling is not, will not, or does not "
forces them to first develop a reliable FSD before being able to sell it to customers
It's a simple freaking recall notice for which Tesla turned off deploying software for maybe a dozen people for a few weeks. And this may be because (and I don't know the facts) that you can't sell a car with a pending recall. They turn off the ability to download it, then no more cars can be added to the recall list.
It's mainly a lawyer thing to play the game.

It is absolutely brain blowing that you and other people can think
forces them to first develop a reliable FSD before being able to sell it to customers
People aren't forced to buy it. Matter of fact Tesla has increased its price to such an obnoxiously high level that people have to REALLY WANT IT to buy it. There is a demand for it. There are people willing to put down a lot of money, knowing that it isn't here yet.

But then again reusable rockets will never work.

I can absolutely, positively, guarantee you that this ruling is not, will not, or does not "

It's a simple freaking recall notice for which Tesla turned off deploying software for maybe a dozen people for a few weeks. And this may be because (and I don't know the facts) that you can't sell a car with a pending recall. They turn off the ability to download it, then no more cars can be added to the recall list.

People aren't forced to buy it. Matter of fact Tesla has increased its price to such an obnoxiously high level that people have to REALLY WANT IT to buy it. There is a demand for it. There are people willing to put down a lot of money, knowing that it isn't here yet.

It's taken a few years already, and is just a matter of a few weeks now?

The way I read it is they cannot sell it anymore, to any new customer, until there is a solution that satisfies NHTSA, not just Elon. So the only extras they can sell for the next few weeks or more likely years are the ones that NHTSA does not have an issue with. Like parking assists or a 360 camera. I would gladly pay for both, and pretty sure many others would too.

I am not a lawyer, so I may be reading this wrong. If there is a lawyer frequenting these pages, would be super-interesting to hear what they say.

Last edited:

The way I read it is they cannot sell it anymore, to any new customer, until there is a solution that satisfies NHTSA, not just Elon. So the only extras they can sell for the next few weeks or more likely years are the ones that NHTSA does not have an issue with. Like parking assists or a 360 camera. I would gladly pay for both, and pretty sure many others would too.

I am not a lawyer, so I may be reading this wrong. If there is a lawyer frequenting these pages, would be super-interesting to hear what they say.

Did you not see how quickly Tesla gave in to this recall? Like most of the other recalls, they already had it fixed.

It's called a software bug. The ONLY reason why it isn't fixed is because they are wanting to get V11 out the door instead of spending ANY time on the old stack.

And I have no idea where you get "It's taken a few years already" It's a recent bug. This happens with software, things are added or fixed and a few bugs may creep in.

I'll be so happy after investors day and V11 ships. It will allow the forums to move forward from being the broken record that it is now. blah blah blah, ultrasonics.

By that logic they wouldn't have dropped the radar back in 2021 and proximity sensors in 2022 if they didn't have a solution that works without them. Except they didn't have such a solution, and still don't have it, hence the rumour about the radar coming back later this year. You see, this is the Tesla way. Elon has a vision, and makes business decisions based on it without listening to input or opposing views, all the AI team has to do is implement it. Or fail to implement it when it's simply not feasible.

Self driving is harder than rockets, per Elon

The recall was only for FSD Beta, right? I believe the standard FSD package is unaffected and they are still selling and activating it.

The recall was only for FSD Beta, right? I believe the standard FSD package is unaffected and they are still selling and activating it.
By standard FSD you mean Enhanced Autopilot? Yes, they are selling it, at least here in the UK, and stuff like autopark or summon are not available until an update is available. Have not been available for five months now.

Oh I see what you are saying. So they won't be able to sell FSD Beta until it's safe enough for NHTSA, but they are still able to sell Enhanced Autopilot that that NHTSA doesn't care about. And since they can continue to sell it as is, with half its features permanently turned off until further notice, they will happily go on doing just that, and there's never any incentive to fix it. Good point.

Reactions: brkaus
By standard FSD you mean Enhanced Autopilot? Yes, they are selling it, at least here in the UK, and stuff like autopark or summon are not available until an update is available. Have not been available for five months now.

Oh I see what you are saying. So they won't be able to sell FSD Beta until it's safe enough for NHTSA, but they are still able to sell Enhanced Autopilot that that NHTSA doesn't care about. And since they can continue to sell it as is, with half its features permanently turned off until further notice, they will happily go on doing just that, and there's never any incentive to fix it. Good point.

Correction:
And since they can continue to sell it as is, with half its features temporarily (ONLY ON A FEW NEWER CARS) turned off until further notice,

I can't wait for V11 to make you stop ranting about this!

No, I don’t mean EAP. You can have FSD without FSD Beta, which gives you the traffic light and stop sign control feature that is not part of EAP and does not require FSD Beta.

No, I don’t mean EAP. You can have FSD without FSD Beta, which gives you the traffic light and stop sign control feature that is not part of EAP and does not require FSD Beta.
They just changed the website in the UK! FSD Beta is no longer available, instead FSD is, exactly how you described it (it was not there before, only beta). FSD costs £6,800 ($8,200), EAP is 50% less. I guess this is how they are addressing the recall issue here in the UK. Or maybe Musk will say something tonight?

They just changed the website in the UK! FSD Beta is no longer available, instead FSD is, exactly how you described it (it was not there before, only beta). FSD costs £6,800 ($8,200), EAP is 50% less. I guess this is how they are addressing the recall issue here in the UK. Or maybe Musk will say something tonight?

Oh, interesting. It's always been this way in the US.