Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Lane Chang problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone experience this issue? Lately I've noticed when I'm on EAP cruising on HWY, I want to get ready for an exit, checked all the lanes all empty. Flick the blinker, the car would do a hard brake (not a sudden one) but hard enough that would move your head forward before it changes lane. I get so worry every time because it's no traffic and the car behind me would run into me.

Car is on 2020.4.1

Does anyone experience this issue? Lately I've noticed when I'm on EAP cruising on HWY, I want to get ready for an exit, checked all the lanes all empty. Flick the blinker, the car would do a hard brake (not a sudden one) but hard enough that would move your head forward before it changes lane. I get so worry every time because it's no traffic and the car behind me would run into me.

Car is on 2020.4.1

You might be describing a phantom brake: unintended braking which is quite popular across the industry-wide. There have been lawsuits and recalls for other manufacturers. There was Uber autonomous vehicle pedestrian death when its engineers tried to solve that problem by just shutting the system off.

The opposite of phantom brake is "where's the automatic braking" when you really needed it as currently discussed in the NTSB investigation of 2018 Autopilot death.

Scientists have been trying to balance between the 2 extremes: comfort (no phantom brakes but dangerous) and safety (braking for obstacles but also for non-obstacles) but it's still imperfect.

I would just have to be ready to press the accelerator or the brake as needed until the scientists can figure it out.

Last edited:
So your car will change lanes by turning on the signal light??? Sounds like you have FSD.

EAP has almost all of FSD capabilities except:

1) No traffic cones and garbage cans recognition
2) No traffic lights & road signs recognition
3) No Navigate on Autopilot IN THE CITIES

You can still get EAP grandfathered if you bought it before it was discontinued or you can buy it from private sales.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
@JulienW EAP. I don't have FSD. Like @Tam Said, no traffic cones or traffic lights, etc..

@Tam Thanks. Curious to know if anyone is also having this problem? I think it's a nice feature that we can continue to use the AP with a flick of a blinker, but the way it brakes gets me REALLY nervous about the car behind me because everyone is going at cruising speed.

For the time being, if I plan to change lane or exit I'd just take off AP but it's a bummer. If it's a SW related that Tesla can fix, I can go schedule but before I do that I want to confirm if it's me or everyone.

Weird, our EAP won't change lanes. In fact, I find it annoying to either have to (a) fight with it when I want to change lanes or (b) hit the brakes so I can turn it off and change lanes. I wish hitting the stalk down a third time would disable it because either of the other 2 methods leads to some jerky driving.

Weird, our EAP won't change lanes. In fact, I find it annoying to either have to (a) fight with it when I want to change lanes or (b) hit the brakes so I can turn it off and change lanes. I wish hitting the stalk down a third time would disable it because either of the other 2 methods leads to some jerky driving.

If your car doesn't change lanes for you then either you don't have EAP, or something's wrong with the car and you should have Tesla fix it.

I just flick UP on right stalk to disable AP - works quickly and without drama - while taking over accelerator and steering from AP.

Reactions: RandomSample