Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP trial thoughts day 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many cars come with TACC standard. Many others have auto lane centering for fully equipped models. Kia has this on their Stinger for instance. Tesla is far ahead in terms of tech/functionality but $5K is a lot.

Here's a list of cars with those features: https://www.cars.com/articles/which-cars-have-self-driving-features-for-2018-1420699785509/
I know TACC is starting to become standard, but I want to know if any other car can navigate the highway as well as EAP does. After V9, I don't ever see my Model 3 not being able to stay within the lines even on very sharp curves. While $5k is a lot, when it comes to technology you always pay a premium for the top of the line product.

Reactions: Electroman
The biggest issue I am seeing is that after purchase, it’s a bit difficult to finance that EAP purchase. Auto financing is generally based on the ICE notion that your car is in a slowly falling apart cycle the moment you leave the dealership lot...

The idea that a car could need more financing after the dealership has scammed money out of you is something banks just haven’t conceived of yet...

So as interesting as the EAP trial is, it is kind if pointless and if I end up liking it too much risks making me dislike my car...

As is, I am not “sold” on it yet, and kind of hope I end up disliking it just because I already know I cannot get it even if I decide I want it...

Something to keep in mind...

I think many people, rightfully so, go into these evaluation periods with a "what can this feature do for me NOW" mentality. What I think many people perhaps forget is that, unlike other manufacturers features, the Tesla EAP and TAAC are developing, evolving technologies. What it can do right now is most definitely not what it will be able to do in 6 months or a year or 5 years. I bought EAP and FSD at vehicle purchase fully aware that it was not worth the money in its current configuration. I bought it for what it will evolve to be over the life of my ownership, which I plan on being at least 10 years. Tesla can offer that. Nobody else can. The ability to completely change the functionality and practicality of your car with a simple over the air update completely changes the value of a given feature. At least it does for me. Perhaps a little change of perspective is in order?

Dan

Something to keep in mind...

I think many people, rightfully so, go into these evaluation periods with a "what can this feature do for me NOW" mentality. What I think many people perhaps forget is that, unlike other manufacturers features, the Tesla EAP and TAAC are developing, evolving technologies. What it can do right now is most definitely not what it will be able to do in 6 months or a year or 5 years. I bought EAP and FSD at vehicle purchase fully aware that it was not worth the money in its current configuration. I bought it for what it will evolve to be over the life of my ownership, which I plan on being at least 10 years. Tesla can offer that. Nobody else can. The ability to completely change the functionality and practicality of your car with a simple over the air update completely changes the value of a given feature. At least it does for me. Perhaps a little change of perspective is in order?

Dan

My main problem is i dont really see what additional features EAP will get over and above what it currently has. Parking and summon can be convenient but probably would only get used a couple of times a year. autosteer is nice but i find that i have been driving long enough that it takes less effort to subconsciously drive myself than it does to consciously monitor the car driving for me. It may get more refined but when does EAP stop and FSD begin. I dont really see EAP as ever becoming anything more than a highway navigator. To me the only real reason to get EAP would be to get FSD and potentially be able to make money on your car in the future at a cheaper entry point. All i really want is TACC to be included. I would be interested in a short term buy in option as well. I am rarely ever in stop and go traffic and we only take a handful of road trips that i would consider taking our 3 on. As others have said, if i got a new job that required a stop and go commute, EAP would get easier to justify. I am also just hoping that the price goes down as this sort of thing becomes main stream.

My thought process when ordering was:

1) Does your commute justify it?
2) Are we close enough to higher levels of autonomy that make it likely you will still own this car when we hit EAP.next?
3) How likely is it that I will own this car when the warranty expires, and if so for how long (related to #2)?

I completely understand how it makes sense for some, and it doesn't for others. I turned down EAP this go around for multiple reasons, but it is possible that I'll think differently when it comes time to buy my next car.

My main problem is i dont really see what additional features EAP will get over and above what it currently has. Parking and summon can be convenient but probably would only get used a couple of times a year. autosteer is nice but i find that i have been driving long enough that it takes less effort to subconsciously drive myself than it does to consciously monitor the car driving for me. It may get more refined but when does EAP stop and FSD begin. I dont really see EAP as ever becoming anything more than a highway navigator. To me the only real reason to get EAP would be to get FSD and potentially be able to make money on your car in the future at a cheaper entry point. All i really want is TACC to be included. I would be interested in a short term buy in option as well. I am rarely ever in stop and go traffic and we only take a handful of road trips that i would consider taking our 3 on. As others have said, if i got a new job that required a stop and go commute, EAP would get easier to justify. I am also just hoping that the price goes down as this sort of thing becomes main stream.

EAP is EXACTLY a highway navigator, and has been from the start. Once the system progresses to where it no longer requires driver approval for lane changes (supposedly coming in a month or so) the original stated features of EAP will be fulfilled. FSD is just that. Complete driverless functionality in highway, local, and surface street environments. As to price, I think FSD will never be as cheap as it is now. Once FSD comes on line EAP may get cheaper or may not in my opinion.

Dan

I'm on my third day with the 30 day EAP trial. My background is that I really like to drive. I have owned a Bmw 3, Honda S2000, Mr2 Turbo, Mini Cooper S, Civis Si, etc.
I did not elect to pay 5000 for EAP because most of my daily drives are on surface streets with traffic lights and I didn't really have an extra 5K to throw away.

Some general thoughts: Super excited to get a free trial to try and change my mind, Thanks Tesla....But I don't understand why you didn't include autopark or NOA in this trial. ???

Specific thoughts:

Summon: Basic summon sucks. It is cool to show your friends how you can move your car a few feet with only your phone. But for practical purposes, summon cannot get into or out of my tight garage space when I can do it just fine by myself. Point HUMAN

TACC thoughts. On the interstate this is wonderful. Really should be standard in a 50-60K car IMO but whatever. On surface streets TACC is kinda scary as you have to be poised with your foot over the brake pedal the whole time in case it does not stop as intended. Also, if you are following someone on a surface street and that guy blows through a red light, your Tesla will happily accelerate right through it as well. If you drive a lot on the interstate TACC would be very helpful. If not it's pointless. I'll give this one to the COMPUTER though as interstate is it's intended use case.

Autosteer thoughts: Again, on the interstate it's mostly good, although a little like watching my 15 year old son drive. If you are in the left or center lane it's pretty solid. If you are in the right lane and passing lots of exits, it often gets confused as to position within the lane. Instead of hugging the dotted line to your left for example, it darts suddenly to the center of the "lane" where an exit from the interstate exits. Scary actually. Point HUMAN

Autopark: Don't have it on my trial but have experienced it on test drives. It's a cool party trick, but again, I can do a better job myself. if I lived in a big city and had to parallel park it would be super useful. I'll give this point to COMPUTER

So overall I feel good with my initial choice to not purchased EAP. I know if I lived in LA and was stuck in hell traffic for hours everyday I might change my mind.

Now, SMART summon when/if it arrives might be something I would pay for. Not 7K, or 5K. But 2K for sure yes. How nice would it be to have my car come pick me up on a rainy Florida night after dinner.?

Overall opinions may change of course as I am only 3 days into my trial. But I have driven highway, surface streets, and tried summon a few times. Over 400 miles in 3 days. IMO Tesla has a LONG way to go before true self driving that I would consider using over my own skills. I realize EAP is not FSD but it is the intermediate step.

Humans have shown once again their superiority over their creation.

I agree with all of your points. I purchased EAP so I'd have it for the occasional longer highway trip and out of concern that over time the cost would go up and it could hurt resale if I didn't have it. In reality I probably should have passed on it but I suppose I will appreciate it when we do our first longer road trip in the car.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
I'm not rating it. I am assessing it's value as a 5500K upgrade. For me it is not worth that.
If my use case was miserable LA traffic I might have a different opinion.
Rating is a bad choice of word on my part. What I'm trying to say is that in order to assess whether something is worth the price, you have to consider what else is available. It's difficult to say something is over priced if it's the best product on the market. However, it is fair to say it's not worth it for you. With any technology, that'll all depend on what you intend on doing with it.

I think there is too much misconception about EAP. It's not Chauffeur mode, it's a driver assist function. One that is getting better and better. I'm pretty impressed by how well it did on the road in the video below. Is there anything else on the market right now that would be able to handle this road? As you can see in the video, even human drivers had a difficult time staying withing the lanes. :D