Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Bird Gets The Worm or Patience Is A Virtue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! I used to frequent this forum a lot a couple years ago but the 3 seemed so far off I put it on the back burner. Couldn't even get my username and password info recovered (kept asking me the name of Teslas first car, I'd put in Roadster and it would say incorrect?). Anyway, I'm back and from the looks of it just in time for the reveal!!

I'd imagine most in this forum plan to slap their money down on a deposit the second they get a chance but I'm wondering how many plan to wait and see how the roll out goes, hear reviews, take test drives etc... I'd like to post a poll but either can't figure it out or simply can't as a supposed newb.

I'm debating this myself as last year I went from a 2004 Chevy Silverado with cruise control and intermittent wipers being the height of its "technology" to a fully loaded 2016 Mazda CX-5 which I absolutely love. But in my heart of hearts the Model 3 is the car I've wanted all along. So do I slap down my deposit and plan to trade-in/sell the CX-5 once it comes time to take delivery of the 3 or do I sit back and enjoy the car I have now and see how it all plays out? I know I've got a few years to decide as the deposits are likely refundable but I like to form a plan and try to stick to it. Decisions, decisions...

Dude, unless you're all in for a Model 3, you shouldn't be posting here. Model 3 for life!

Elitist much? I didn't say I wasn't planning to buy one, I just didn't realize you had to be waiting with baited breath to fork over a deposit the second Tesla grants you permission in order to post here. Thanks for the advice but unless you're a mod I'll post wherever I feel like.

Elitist much? I didn't say I wasn't planning to buy one, I just didn't realize you had to be waiting with baited breath to fork over a deposit the second Tesla grants you permission in order to post here. Thanks for the advice but unless you're a mod I'll post wherever I feel like.

I think he was joking. Anyway, this thread has people saying whether they will reserve right away or wait (not surprisingly, most people here plan to reserve right away):

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders discussion

I'm expecting higher end models to be produced first and at a higher volume than the S and X. Since I'm planning to buy a 3 closer to the base model, I think that I can reserve ASAP and still have the opportunity to test drive and see what bugs occur on early models. If I were to wait a while for the car to be released before I put in my order it could be 2019 or 2020 before I get my car, which is longer than I'd like to wait.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you reserve it doesn't necessarily mean you have to actually order your car when ready, right? Nothing can stop you from reserving but still waiting and seeing how the car rolls out. I don't think you'd "lose" your reservation spot if you waited. I'd just think that others who reserved would just jump in front of you once it came down to ordering the car. And even then, it still doesn't guarantee WHEN you'd get your car, depending on the options you select. So I don't see any negative on reserving at reveal (outside of tying that money up). As long as the car's design ends up being physically appealing to me, my plan is to on drop money for my reservation ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, bigbear was definitely joking. Just know that when the reveal comes, then it's GUTCHECK TIME! And once you reserve to become part of the MWO, you're in it... FOR... LIIIIIIFE!

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, bigbear was definitely joking. Just know that when the reveal comes, then it's GUTCHECK TIME! And once you reserve to become part of the MWO, you're in it... FOR... LIIIIIIFE!

Who says I'm joking? Look at my new tattoo...
382f72eadbce5584b78f4288493ebb3c.jpg

I penned an apology yesterday for being an uptight curmudgeon but it has yet to be approved by the mods so I'll try again, sorry bigbear. As I alluded to I spent many, many hours in these forums a while back so to get "beat it" as a response to my first post since returning caught me off guard. Anyway...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you reserve it doesn't necessarily mean you have to actually order your car when ready, right? Nothing can stop you from reserving but still waiting and seeing how the car rolls out. I don't think you'd "lose" your reservation spot if you waited. I'd just think that others who reserved would just jump in front of you once it came down to ordering the car. And even then, it still doesn't guarantee WHEN you'd get your car, depending on the options you select. So I don't see any negative on reserving at reveal (outside of tying that money up)...

This is a perfect scenario for me I think. Ideally I'd like to keep the CX-5 and give it to my daughter in 5 years but I can't really afford 2 car payments. If this is true I'm thinking I'll throw down my money for a res then drag my feet as long as I can. Thanks for the feedback everybody.

They don't seem to use pink font on this forum ;)

I've been paying attention to the X rollout to get a feel of how 3 will go. Seems like even if you were the first to put money down, but wanted a 70 pack you won't be seeing your X until at least the ladder half of this year (most likely a year after the reveal). So I don't think there is much down side of putting your reservation in early for the 3. But if you are too late to the party you might need to pony up to the higher levels to see your car in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm wondering just how 'significantly delayed delivery based upon features selected' will be received as Tesla moves more into the mainstream (and at the lower price point of the Model 3). We early adopters are a little more tolerant of such things, but I fear that if Joe Lunchbox is deciding between a Bolt (or whatever) that's available immediately, it's going to be a tough sell to get him to wait six months, just because he committed the cardinal sin of not selecting the high-end Model 3.

This is a perfect scenario for me I think. Ideally I'd like to keep the CX-5 and give it to my daughter in 5 years but I can't really afford 2 car payments. If this is true I'm thinking I'll throw down my money for a res then drag my feet as long as I can. Thanks for the feedback everybody.
Sounds like you are in the perfect scenario, you have a reliable transport already so can afford to wait.
The other alternative could be to get on the reservation list anyway, then when the time comes take a look at the Model S CPO pool.
It sounds like the expectation is that a decently specced Model 3 will by around the same price as a CPO Model S, all of which just adds another question for you rather than answering anything - sorry :biggrin:

Sounds like you are in the perfect scenario, you have a reliable transport already so can afford to wait.
The other alternative could be to get on the reservation list anyway, then when the time comes take a look at the Model S CPO pool.
It sounds like the expectation is that a decently specced Model 3 will by around the same price as a CPO Model S, all of which just adds another question for you rather than answering anything - sorry :biggrin:

Actually I was thinking my time frame might even bring CPO 3's in to the discussion, assuming there are no major delays in production. A decked out CPO 3 in 4 or 5 years might strike the perfect balance as it would allow me to keep and pay off the CX5, read all the reviews and test drive it, hopefully avoid any significant "issues" with the car like the DU problems with the S, and most importantly be able to buy the car I REALLY want (ludicrous ) w/o having to settle for what I can afford.