Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early FSD Computer Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new to Tesla and the Model 3. Took delivery 2 weeks ago today of a HW3 equipped Model 3. I’m curious what other early HW3 users have encountered in the limited time it’s been out there. Also very curious of the thoughts of someone who has experience with HW 2.5 and driven a HW 3 car in the last month or so. Are there any noticeable differences?

My experience has been largely good except for a while the screen was freezing/rebooting multiple times per day. Another thread on this forum pointed to the USB dash cam feature likely being the culprit. I removed that and it hasn’t occurred again in the last 2 days. I can live without the dash cam until they get that fixed. Not sure if it’s the USB stick itself or some bug in the 2019.12.1.2 software combined with HW 3 causing the problem. Going to play around with different USB drives this weekend and see if the problem
recurs.

The only other difference in HW 3 I know of right now is that “no confirmation” Navigate on Autopilot isn’t yet available. I assume they just want to get a good number of miles driven on the new hardware before they are comfortable pushing that out.

Anyone with HW 3 notice anything else?

My experience has been largely good except for a while the screen was freezing/rebooting multiple times per day. Another thread on this forum pointed to the USB dash cam feature likely being the culprit. I removed that and it hasn’t occurred again in the last 2 days. I can live without the dash cam until they get that fixed. Not sure if it’s the USB stick itself or some bug in the 2019.12.1.2 software combined with HW 3 causing the problem. Going to play around with different USB drives this weekend and see if the problem
recurs.

I’ve had the same problem and it didn’t start until I inserted a USB drive. M3LR 2019.12.1.2
Have you had any luck with new drives?

Brand new to Tesla and the Model 3. Took delivery 2 weeks ago today of a HW3 equipped Model 3. I’m curious what other early HW3 users have encountered in the limited time it’s been out there. Also very curious of the thoughts of someone who has experience with HW 2.5 and driven a HW 3 car in the last month or so. Are there any noticeable differences?

recurs.

The only other difference in HW 3 I know of right now is that “no confirmation” Navigate on Autopilot isn’t yet available. I assume they just want to get a good number of miles driven on the new hardware before they are comfortable pushing that out.

Anyone with HW 3 notice anything else?
Congratulations on the car. For reference, the center display/ user interface is not directly driven by the AP computer. The display has its own processor seperate from the AP and vehicle control systems.

Can you share what thumb drive you’re using?
This is the drive I'm having issues with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CH1NAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For reference, the center display/ user interface is not directly driven by the AP computer. The display has its own processor seperate from the AP and vehicle control systems.
Thanks for this clarification. That makes total sense. I'm going to try a few more USB sticks and see if I can find one that won't cause this issue.

Nope tried multiple drives and reformatted. It seems to work for a little while but inevitably if it's plugged in I'll get the freezing again. I'm hoping the next software update addresses it but at least now I know it's not just me. Appreciate the response.

The joys of being on among the first on new hardware.

The couple times it’s happened to me, Sentry Mode was active. Once after leaving it at the airport for a few days where Sentry Mode recorded zero events (after recording events like leaves blowing by before). Even the speed readout lagged heavily driving home from the airport. I deleted everything off the USB and reinstalled it. On the second park of the day after clearing the USB (15 minute stop) the display rebooted itself and went laggy again.

I bought a USB 3.1 drive today and will give it a shot.