Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to get the number of kWh used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I somehow missed that post due to the lengthy math post after it. Sounds like it would work well.

I mean, it wasn't THAT lengthy. ;) I miss posts all the time this way though.

You can substitute the reading of kWh on your long term trip meter for Miles * Wh/mi in the equation in that post. The 245/230 ratio assumes an AWD, ratio might be slightly smaller for the other vehicles; not sure.

I read by skimming and trying to extract a summary first. If that fails I don't try to read it. Reading chronologically, it makes sense.

I guess I should have gone with the KISS principle and just followed @TimothyHW3's Trip Meter recommendation with:

Trip kWh * 1.25

That's a good lower bound, will work for typical mileage users.

Reactions: user212_nr
That's a good calculation to use, and yes, easy to apply. I track my usage from the wall, and my number is: Wall kWh/dash kWh = 1.23.

Good to get the confirmation that it's close.

Deviating from the KISS principle ;), for people with typical use patterns (pre-warming, etc.) in very cold climates, who store and charge their cars outside, it's probably better to use (in winter):

Trip kWh*1.4

For people who use Sentry Mode all the time in mild climates:

TripkWh * 1.9

For people who use Sentry Mode all the time in cold climates (winter):

TripkWh * 2.05

;)

Again, rules of thumb assuming typical driving patterns of 10-12k miles per year. The more you drive the lower the multiplier, but ~1.15 is the lower bound, assuming infinite miles of driving per year.

Reactions: ran349