Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Kingston SC has been damaged!
Check the upper right of one of the photos and a closeup from the other.
They still work, of course, and it looks superficial, but I don't know if it was a snowplow or what that did it.

i managed to drive in -22 weather the other day from the Toronto SC to Kingston. Drove at 102 km/hr all the way and still had 13% range left. It seems 100 km/h is the sweet spot for saving energy. I had range mode off and that helped. I wore the Milwaukee heated hood and that really helped me stay warm.

Got to Brookstreet Hotel in Kanata with plenty of range only to find one of the HSWC iced by that notorious guy who seems to think its ok to park his white Porche there. Luckily, the other spot was open. The hotel is now constructing Tesla signs there so others won't park there, hopefully.
The Porche owner is a doctor who works in the building they say.
They will be upgrading the chargers shortly to 80A as well at Brookstreet!
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender copy.jpg

The Kingston SC has been damaged!
Check the upper right of one of the photos and a closeup from the other.
They still work, of course, and it looks superficial, but I don't know if it was a snowplow or what that did it.

Given its isolated position at the back of the property, I wouldn't be surprised if the plow gave it a knock on the way by. I know I wouldn't be expecting anything delicate to be back there if I was a plow driver. I trust you informed Tesla of your findings?

i managed to drive in -22 weather the other day from the Toronto SC to Kingston. Drove at 102 km/hr all the way and still had 13% range left. It seems 100 km/h is the sweet spot for saving energy. I had range mode off and that helped. I wore the Milwaukee heated hood and that really helped me stay warm.

Wow, you used that much energy just getting to Kingston? Even though you drove slowly (for the 401) and with the HVAC off? I trust you didn't leave Toronto with a full charge? And you know you save more energy with range mode ON, right?

They will be upgrading the chargers shortly to 80A as well at Brookstreet!

Great news! I don't see the point in installing Tesla-branded EVSEs if you're not going to put full power to them (which only Model S can utilize). At 40A, you might as well just install J1772 stations that any EV can use.

What's decent winter usage? I am fast approaching 3,000km and my average is 280wh/km. I went to Toronto on Tuesday in -10C. On the way back I noticed consumption was much better from Toronto (fresh off a supercharge), than from Cobourg to home (fresh off a 40 amp top up). I'm assuming the batteries get nice and warm during a supercharge and take longer on the 401 to need pack heating?

Driving from Montreal to Ottawa on a cold night (-20°C) at 110KM, I noticed that every 100km rated range gave me about 67km. So, 67% of my available range. I charged at the supercharger there but surprisingly the battery wasn't fully heated, not even at 30kw mark or the regen. Maybe because I waited until the charging is 100% complete.

Again, that day was really cold, the feeling-like number was around -30°C. So that's my worst percentage on a road trip.
In the city, with stop and go combined with short rides and soaking in cold, you should get 50% of the rated range.

Although my car is an S60, I still have the weight of the jump seats and the panoramic roof.

What's decent winter usage? I am fast approaching 3,000km and my average is 280wh/km.

I was under 190 Wh/km last Summer, but am around 275 Wh/km since December. There have been too many -20C days. I think energy use to heat the battery goes up exponentially once it's colder than about -12C.

An owner told me today he was taking a 50% hit in range at -20C. For me it's more like 35-40%. I forgot to ask him what his tires are and how they're inflated. Supposedly, my Hakka R2 are low rolling resistance and I adjust the pressure to be 45 psi no matter how cold it is outside.

What is rated range based on anyway? 180wh/km? 190? Do you guys get close to that in the summer?

I have found it to be close to 189 or 188 through empirical testing. That is easily achievable if you are doing long trips at modest highway speeds. I have made a number of trips (in warm weather) to Ottawa on Highway 7 and averaged in the 150 to 170 whr/km range. I am currently averaging 197 over 42,000 km (indoor charging, preheating and keeping up the tire pressure all help).

If you can thoroughly preheat from AC then at -20C the impact is around 20% - 25%. If the car is stone cold then consumption goes through the roof.
In my experience (since we are having a lot of - 20C these days), if the car is "fully" heated (when no yellow marks/limit on regen) it would still be bad in the city since the heater is on even at 18C, or driving more than 90km/h on the highway. The cold wind will freeze the cabin in no time, which makes the heater compensate.

It was great being able to use the Kingston supercharger yesterday on my way to Toronto from Ottawa. As an experiment, we took 416/401 route instead of the Highways 7/15/401 we took in the past. Due to the very cold weather (- 23 C and wind chill in the - 35 C range), we were able to get only 59%. I did a full trip charge and drove at 100 kms/hr from Kingston to Toronto and arrived at Tesla Lawrence with 54 kms range left which worked out to be about 68%.

In mild weather in November, we travelled about 90 kms/hr on Highways 15/7 from Kingston to Ottawa and achieved 107% of rated range which was great.

Some of you may already be aware of this but just in case you are not, we lost our 3G signal in the Napanee area and could not regain our signal the rest of the way. I asked the Service Advisor at Tesla Lawrence and was informed that it was a common problem reported by other Tesla owners. The remedy, which worked immediately for me, is to press on the two scroll wheels simultaneously for about 5 seconds. The touch screen will then go blank and the signal access will be reset.

What's decent winter usage? I am fast approaching 3,000km and my average is 280wh/km. I went to Toronto on Tuesday in -10C. On the way back I noticed consumption was much better from Toronto (fresh off a supercharge), than from Cobourg to home (fresh off a 40 amp top up). I'm assuming the batteries get nice and warm during a supercharge and take longer on the 401 to need pack heating?

Could you tell me where you charged up in Cobourg? If it's a convenient location, I am thinking of not going to the Tesla Lawrence Supercharger during rush hour on our way back to Ottawa.

During cold spells in Ottawa ( -25 C ), my energy consumption is way up especially after parking outdoors for a couple of hours. The range is 350 to 500 Wh/km. During mild weather, it is more in the 180 to 210 Wh/km range.

For my trip to Toronto on Friday, I preheated before leaving and I averaged 290 Wh/km in -22 C weather from Ottawa to Kingston