Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy Entry/Exit will wear out the motors prematurely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else concerned about the easy entry/exit feature wearing out the motors/gears in the seat, wheel, and mirrors? Are these parts really meant to be operated thousands of times? I'm worried about wearing them out and having to get it fixed when they are jammed/broken.

Is anyone else concerned about the easy entry/exit feature wearing out the motors/gears in the seat, wheel, and mirrors? Are these parts really meant to be operated thousands of times? I'm worried about wearing them out and having to get it fixed when they are jammed/broken.
Many other luxury vehicles have this feature and have proven to be pretty bullet proof. Sure they're being used more so there is definitely more wear, but I argue it will not impact longterm functionality

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r and DukeofURL
This is interesting as I just had a rear window actuator fail on a 10 year old BMW. That window was almost never used and when activated last week the cable hopped out of the guide and jammed in the spool. The window would not go up so I fixed it by disconnecting the cables and supporting the window with a fixed block and bolts. The window is up forever now but it didn't wear out from over use.

The driver side window which is opened often to enter parking garages works just fine.

The reality of cars is that machines break, software has bugs and people make mistakes. You need to deal with the failure when it occurs so I don't worry about potential failures too much except maybe where a drop of oil would have helped to prevent a problem in the first place.

Reactions: croman
Yes, but I have more important things to worry about.
They should last a long time but if they break, just fix them. Enjoy the luxury. Life is too short to worry about trivial stuff.

Last edited:
Using the motors regularly is actually a good thing. However depending on how the wiring is routed this can be the main issue. As a GM tech I replaced many power seat adjuster assemblies for GM trucks and SUV's. My belief is that when these motors are not used regularly the motors freeze up/develop minor rust/corrosion internally on the brushes etc and stop working. The real problem that I have repaired 100's of times was the bundle of wires that came from the floor up to the seat control module. Every time the seat moves back and forth these copper wires bend repeatedly and weaken the copper. Over time these wires start to break and the seat becomes inoperable. It then becomes a nightmare to repair the wires in this area as they need to flex and wire repairs only make it worse. I haven't noticed how tightly the wires are routed under the seats of the Teslas but on my own Hybrid Denali I do not use this feature for to this reason.

Reactions: ratsbew
Hopefully they're designed and built better than the early door handles which have a fairly high failure rate from two main issues:
1) Wiring that loosens over time due to excessive stresses
2) Broken paddle gear that shears from (?repetitive forces)

Granted, different application than seat/steering wheel/mirror movement. Also if you regularly switch drivers, these things are already moving a fair amount and haven't read of many failures.

My 1993 Lexus SC400 had the easy exit feature, which actuated the steering wheel, seat and folded the side mirrors. There was never a problem.
My son is driving that car now some 24 years later and 350K miles. None of those systems have failed. His driver window regulator did fail once however. But that was not associated with the easy exit feature.

A word of caution, if you are in the north where ICE can form on the car you may want to disable the folding side mirror option on the S. A friend of mine stripped his mirror gears on his S due to a heavy ice buildup.

I'd really like to see a geofenced option to not retract the door handles when you're at home in your garage. My door handles have opened and retracted thousands of times in my garage just walking by.

I'd also like to see an option for those that don't enable the auto extending to only extend the handle touched. It makes no sense to retract the rear handles when only a front passenger is getting in.

Reactions: JHawk
for what it's worth I used to leverage the "poor man's" easy entry/exit by creating an exit profile and a driving profile and toggling between them when getting in/out. Eventually my steering wheel motor stopped working and had to be replaced... after they fixed it, I found a place where I could get in/out without scraping the very fragile leather on the steering wheel or rub the B pillar down to a nub.... I'm still getting wear now that the steering wheel column and seat stay in place, but then again it wasn't like I was avoiding it entirely using the entry/exit profile. I'm with others in here, if you find it useful- use it and don't worry about it. I found that the motors moved too slowly for my taste and wouldn't get out of my way fast enough anyway.