Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy fronk lid stiffening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was concerned with the amount of flex in the hood while I was waxing this past weekend. Very light pressure would bend it. That, coupled with the concerns about damaging it if you don't close it just so, convinced me to add some silicone in key spots. It makes a noticeable difference and I can close one-handed without fearing damage. Using about 20cm of tubing I was able to squeeze in about 8g into each of the two spots below:
rib.jpg

I also put about 7g into each of the latch torx holes. I put straws in first to help keep silicone from getting onto the threads:
latch.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I was concerned with the amount of flex in the hood while I was waxing this past weekend. Very light pressure would bend it. That, coupled with the concerns about damaging it if you don't close it just so, convinced me to add some silicone in key spots. It makes a noticeable difference and I can close one-handed without fearing damage. Using about 20cm of tubing I was able to squeeze in about 8g into each of the two spots below:View attachment 364395

I also put about 7g into each of the latch torx holes. I put straws in first to help keep silicone from getting onto the threads:
View attachment 364396

LOL.... I would never have thought to do such a thing.

Your effort has me perplexed. ( visual = perplexed look on my face with a faint grin ). I'll wait for others to chime in.

Okay, I'll bite.

1) What purpose does the fairly minuscule amount of silicone do at the "back" end of the hood? 8 grams is a little over 1/4 ounce.
2) What is the volume of 8 grams of silicone?
3) Exactly what kind of silicone is being used? (manufacture brand and part number)
4) What is the purpose of filling the holes at the latch?
5) Are you filling up the cavities in each of those locations?

Inquiring minds want to know....

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I was concerned with the amount of flex in the hood while I was waxing this past weekend. Very light pressure would bend it. That, coupled with the concerns about damaging it if you don't close it just so, convinced me to add some silicone in key spots. It makes a noticeable difference and I can close one-handed without fearing damage. Using about 20cm of tubing I was able to squeeze in about 8g into each of the two spots below:View attachment 364395

View attachment 364396
I,...I...I....? Well? I Hmmmmm...

LOL. Thanks for the warnings but I have pretty thick skin so bring it! ;-) To answer a couple questions:

1) I picked the first two spots because those were the spots I noticed the most flex (more than around the emblem).
2) Not much. I went by weight since I couldn't see what was being deposited. It is about the size of a half dollar about 1cm tall.
3) I just used GE 100% Clear Silicone because that is what I happened to have on hand.
4) The latch (under the logo) was the first thing I targeted because the hood would flex there if you pressed down while closing. Why Tesla tells us *not* to press there. Filling the gap prevents the hood from flexing. I still recommend following Tesla's instructions (read: I'm not buying you a new hood if you do this and still damage it :))
5) Yes - the idea is to fill the gap so pressure on the hood is passed on to the ribs below.

I do think people are wise to take this with a grain of salt and use their best judgement so I won't condemn anyone for challenging this. I know many people do more harm than good trying to improve upon sound engineering on their cars (all makes). My personal feeling is there has been a few bumps in the road bringing the Model 3 to production and Tesla "had bigger fish to fry" than a floppy hood. This seemed relatively safe and in the end I like the result.

Reactions: tracksyde
I recently linked this so figured I would update. I have since gone back and added more Silicone to the other spaces accessible through the honeycomb inner panel. Anywhere there was a gap between the panels, I secured it with SIicone. Now the hood barely flexes when I close it. The Silicone is completely out of sight (would never know it was there).