Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economics of charging an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Edgar_N

Jan 3, 2012
Quick question -- do EV chargers continue to consume/use electricity while plugged into the EV, after the EV has fully charged? I am trying to determine whether they use more electricity in this "dormant" (I don't know the correct term) state than a typical home appliance. I don't think I have seen that factored into discussions about how much it costs to charge a EV....

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Quick question -- do EV chargers continue to consume/use electricity while plugged into the EV, after the EV has fully charged? I am trying to determine whether they use more electricity in this "dormant" (I don't know the correct term) state than a typical home appliance. I don't think I have seen that factored into discussions about how much it costs to charge a EV....

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The Tesla Roadster, under normal environmental conditions, consumes very little power when not charging. It loses less than 1% of the battery pack capacity a day. In Standard charge mode it will top up the car once a day. In Storage Mode it will allow the charge to slow deplete to a low level, then it will charge periodically to maintain that.

Under more extreme conditions it will use some extra power; for example, if the garage temperature is well below freezing it will occasionally draw some power to keep the pack warm (unless in Storage Mode).