Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economist: German cars have the most to lose from a changing auto industry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From this week's Economist: German cars have the most to lose from a changing auto industry

The article mentions Tesla once or twice, and talks about mobility services as well as the rise of EVs and the decline of diesel. No truly novel content, but seems to be a good summary of the current state of things.

Bosch backing out of the battery business likely sealed Germany’s fate. The Germans have it wrong, Electrified vehicles won’t be enough. There’s still time for the Germans to turn the shipping, but the curtain is closing in on them. Overall a good read.

Bosch backing out of the battery business likely sealed Germany’s fate. The Germans have it wrong, Electrified vehicles won’t be enough. There’s still time for the Germans to turn the shipping, but the curtain is closing in on them. Overall a good read.

I totally get it: the move is too risky for Bosch. But at the same point they don't have a reliable partner to show for who will ensure they are not getting stranded without cells.

It's likely less of an issue in the e-bike / household / consumer goods side of things. But I fail to see how they want to win against Samsung/SDI & Co. who have the cells, the power electronics and the drive system...

If you consider the Bolt: that's essentially a LG car with some GM final assembly. The upcoming Audi Q6 eTron is a Samsung SDI powered car. How is Bosch going to be in the game without the cells?

From this week's Economist: German cars have the most to lose from a changing auto industry

The article mentions Tesla once or twice, and talks about mobility services as well as the rise of EVs and the decline of diesel. No truly novel content, but seems to be a good summary of the current state of things.

Agreed ... interesting to note the current EV/PHEV market share by country.

20180303_WBC877.png

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
The Leipzig ruling was under-reported, in my opinion. Granting the people of Stuttgart the right to ban diesel, if undertaken, would be like the people of Detroit banning the F150.

Not to digress into politics, but to me a Germany-wide Diesel ban would be akin to repealing the 2nd amendment in the US: something that would save countless lives but something that's culturally not at all acceptable. So yes, this was under-reported as it is a massive cultural revolution in Germany and it also emboldens others to follow suit...

Not to digress into politics, but to me a Germany-wide Diesel ban would be akin to repealing the 2nd amendment in the US: something that would save countless lives but something that's culturally not at all acceptable. So yes, this was under-reported as it is a massive cultural revolution in Germany and it also emboldens others to follow suit...

I think you are discounting just how crazy the far right is toward the 2nd Amendment. German's, IMO, are far more level headed and understand why diesel engines must go. Granted there will be many who are unhappy, but that is largely driven by financial interests.

In the US, the right wing media would create the narrative that the US Government was coming to rape and pillage cities and towns. Common sense is long gone in parts of the US...

I think you are discounting just how crazy the far right is toward the 2nd Amendment. German's, IMO, are far more level headed and understand why diesel engines must go. Granted there will be many who are unhappy, but that is largely driven by financial interests.

In the US, the right wing media would create the narrative that the US Government was coming to rape and pillage cities and towns. Common sense is long gone in parts of the US...

FWIW: in U.S., mainstram media is far from right wing.......bigger issue would be entrenched dealer network that "buys" support at state level through contributions to both Republican and Democratic legislators.