Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EDD Window Moved AFTER VIN Received

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a VIN (NF355xxx) on Wednesday (1/5/22) and the EDD window was 1/7 - 1/11. Today the EDD window changed to 1/16 - 1/22. Is the EDD moving after a VIN has been assigned a common thing? Hoping the actual build got delayed to implement some of the new changes. Any chance they change the VIN altogether at this point? Just want to know what to expect as I'd have to coordinate insurance and financing which already have the currently assigned VIN.

I received a VIN (NF355xxx) on Wednesday (1/5/22) and the EDD window was 1/7 - 1/11. Today the EDD window changed to 1/16 - 1/22. Is the EDD moving after a VIN has been assigned a common thing? Hoping the actual build got delayed to implement some of the new changes. Any chance they change the VIN altogether at this point? Just want to know what to expect as I'd have to coordinate insurance and financing which already have the currently assigned VIN.
If your car was produced on 1/5 add 10 days to two weeks for the car to ship to New Jersey. That puts you squarely in the 1/16-1/22 frame. No way the 1/7 - 1/11 window is feasible for a car finished in California on the 5th.

If your car was produced on 1/5 add 10 days to two weeks for the car to ship to New Jersey. That puts you squarely in the 1/16-1/22 frame. No way the 1/7 - 1/11 window is feasible for a car finished in California on the 5th.
Makes sense. When the Delivery window moved up to 1/7 at the same time I got the VIN I assumed the car had already been built and was on it's way. Weird that they changed the window from 1/14-2/11 up to 1/7-1/11 when that timeframe wasn't feasible, only to eventually move it back.

Yeah, it is confusing. Through a little research I found that a legal VIN can't be assigned until the car is physically completed. From looking at others experience it appears VINs are released to buyers when the car is created, i.e., assembled. There may be theoretical VINs in source code of orders, but it is not official and legal until the car is made.

I have a different problem in California, in that when buyers here get a VIN it may be only a day or two until delivery, or at least the start of a three-day window. Makes it hard to plan. Today is the first day of my EDD and I have no VIN yet.