Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edinburgh Supercharger slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Dropped someone off at Edinburgh airport yesterday. As I had noticed the supercharger had been indicated as out of action a couple of weeks ago, and I've not used it before, I thought I would check it out. My car was fully warmed and had driven 50 miles and with no regen dots showing. Admittedly I was 60% battery so wouldn't expect the very top end of speed but it only charged at 23kW! I stayed long enough for it to ramp up the speed if it was going to do that, but it didn't. After a slowly added 4kWh I moved on.

There are only 2 stalls as it is one of the very early supercharger locations. I was the only car there and I used the one on the right as you face them (I didn't note if it was numbered).

Is there a recommended reporting method for suspect Superchargers?

Do you know how old that supercharger is.

When I was asking about superchargers in the showroom not long after ordering, I was running through options of supercharging on route to family up near Warrington - approx 200 miles.

When I said how good it was to have Warrington supercharger, It was immediately suggested that Stoke was a better choice. In those days I was not so supercharger savvy, but it was said iirc that they were legacy superchargers and didn't charge very fast.

Now since then, having used them, I learned that another problem is that there are only 2 and first attempt to use, there was a queue so I gave up - one and only time. However, bright and breezy, following morning I nipped down to charge before breakfast, admittedly no pre condition, and even though I was sole occupant, it was really slow, taking 41 minutes for 23kWh (60-90%) (predicted 25 minutes). Checking TeslaFi, I peaked at about 140mph, so schoolboy maths, I averaged 33kW - I did not taper even though 90% charge - in fact, fairly flat charge - looks like it started around 26kW, and finished around 34kW only peaking at 35kW.

I never even bother to visit the Edinburgh supercharger now - as you say only 2 stalls, generally slow and often busy. When I travel to /from Aberdeenshire I much prefer to go via Edinburgh than Glasgow so when heading south if necessary I use Perth, when heading north if necessary I use Gretna or Abington. It also helps to have a daughter who lives in Edinburgh so on overnight stays with her I just use the granny charger!

The key words are 'up to' which means if you're lucky

I just came across these charge curves for the Model 3 with different supercharging rates. It looks like with 60% SOC you could expect round about 80kW. Even accepting a range of other factors that may make things sub-optimal 23kW certainly looks well below par.
0wpein8nnq331.png

It can be reasonably fast, I've had over 100kW on occasion from the Edinburgh supercharger. But as noted only 2 stalls, and slightly awkwardly placed in airport car park with barrier control.

The barrier was readily lifted after I followed the instructions to press for assistance and say I was there for Tesla charging. Seemed OK for position.