TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Effect of raising capital at current near all time high stock prices.

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Ludus, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ludus

Ludus Member

It's a logical move. Would it be negative or perhaps by eliminating an uncertainty actually trigger higher prices?

2. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

IMO Tesla should reiterate it does not need a capital raise.

Then if we are above $250 after the Q1 2017 earnings call then do a significant raise to establish a rainy day fund like GM and Ford's ~$25B piggy bank just in case of a recession.

And I do think it would be seen as a net positive by the market.

3. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

From my general experience with secondary offerings, I'd say it depends how large it is. Market doesn't blink at small secondary offerings and they tend to have very little effect. A large offering would be considered dilutive and cause a drop.

If it's low-interest long-term corporate bonds it would probably be viewed as a positive, indicating that Tesla has better access to financing.
    High-interest corporate bonds would be viewed as a negative, indicating that Tesla has worse access to financing.

4. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

I would build a war chest as deep as is physically possible for the battle ahead. If you think dealing with Trump and some FUD in in the news are the last shots fired by a century of global wealth creation, you are sorely mistaken. The Saudi royal family and Putin aren't just going to drift off into irrelevance.

Drop hints of Gigafactory 2&3, detail vague production plans for the "final piece" <$25k sedan, then raise a ton of cash in the spring.

5. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Given that interest rates are probably going to go up eventually, I'd attempt to lock in low rates long term once Tesla's credit rating is good enough.

6. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Let us not forget that the master plan requires significant up front financing for residential solar as well. It's not like Elon is gonna take his foot of the gas with solar.