Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of speed, air conditioning, and wheels on range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Learning to drive an EV will require a learning curve. Let's take your theoretical 150 mile round trip (I realize that it may vary depending on location of soccer games). The difference in driving that 150 miles between 65mph and 75mph is 18 minutes total. Would you rather slow down to 65mph and take 18 minutes longer or speed up to 75mph and then spend 20 to 30 minutes extra at an SC? Each one of us will decide which scenario works best for us. And as others have said, you will average much less than 75mph on the typical trip.

Good luck at the games and have fun.

Since we leave very early in the morning around 5-5:30 am to make to the first field by 7am, freeways are pretty clear at that time to speed. So I think if needed, I can stop by the supercharger on the way home as we usually are not rushed coming back. I just checked, there are few superchargers on the way and about 3 more coming soon. It should fine to minimize range anxiety.

Not looking forward to spending my 3-day weekends on the road and soccer field, but as a parent it has to be done.

I was going South from DC to Florida. Tes told me to slow down below 75 or I would not make next charging stop. I was cruising around 100mph. Speed makes a big difference how long charge last. Tesla has calculations for trips, it looked to me they wanted me at 65 or 70 just to get from one SC to the next for the 800 miles.

If you're on a busy highway cruising with other cars around, you'll find very good efficiency unless you're the lead car. Even at high speeds and the same following distance everyone around you is using.

I've noticed this on several trips -- traffic flowing around 75-85mph and yet wh/mi under EPA levels until we are alone or leading the pack, then it jumps way up.

So in practice these concerns about extra power usage at higher speeds don't usually impact us as we don't travel in the middle of the night or other not-busy times.