Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric car gold rush of 2010

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree 2010 is now THE year we're supposed to see the boom. But we've been at this long enough to agree that 2008 was supposed to be THE year. Remember? Tesla, Phoenix, Miles to name a couple. What happend to the ramped up production?

I disagree with the premise that we're all waiting for 2010 to see if it's boom or bust. The technology has been in testing for damn near a decade. I just want to go to a dealer to buy my car without a stupid waiting list :mad:

Still 2008 should be the year we see both Tesla and Think start delivering cars to more regular customers. There'll still be a waiting list, but at least people will be able to see the cars does exist. That's probably going to fuel even higher demand though, so in my guess the waiting lists are going to be here for another few years. Think is actually never going to remove the waiting list, they want you to spec out the car online and order it that way, and pick it up a few weeks later, not drive out from a lot.

Cobos

Inventory

DDB;
What you want, DDBoy, is a HUGE inventory of vehicles, able to pre-stock every showroom plus match the orders expected before the next shipment. There are a few majors able to do that. Many can't handle it for specialty or custom mods even so.

Get real.

Good luck trying to purchase one without a waiting list.

In many areas of the country there is still a waiting list for the Prius, which has been out 10 years and still relies entirely on gasoline.

As more electrics become available, demand will go up. The majority of the population still has no idea that electric cars even exist outside of the golf course. By 2010 gasoline should be pushing $5 a gallon, maybe more. Once people find out about electrics, and more affordable models become available, there will not be any way to keep up with demand for a long time to come.

One the other hand, you'll soon be able to purchase a used Tahoe or Expedition with low miles for under $1000. I've already heard that many dealers are simply refusing to take big SUVs for trade in because the know they can't sell them.

The next few years are going to be very interesting for the car business.