Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gold Coast postcode has highest market share of EVs in QLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article explains why I see so many Teslas on the roads here!

"According to the Australian Automobile Association (AAA), the postcode of 4217, which takes in Surfers Paradise, Bundall, Benowa and Main Beach ranked number one in Queensland for EV registrations.

The area has 184 EVs registered, making it the third-highest postcode in the whole country."

"According to the Australian Automobile Association (AAA), the postcode of 4217, which takes in Surfers Paradise, Bundall, Benowa and Main Beach ranked number one in Queensland for EV registrations.

The area has 184 EVs registered, making it the third-highest postcode in the whole country."

It’s a bit meaningless though, raw numbers tells you more about the size of the postcode than it tells you how popular EVs are. Some postcode areas are tiny, others are huge.

A percentage of all registered vehicles in that postcode would be way more informative.

Excluding the City of Sydney, which has vehicle fleets, Canterbury-Bankstown LGA has the highest number of EVs registered in NSW (1364), which seems bizarre since it is not a wealthy area by any stretch. But then you look at the population - nearly 400,000 - about the same size as Hobart and Darwin put together. That’s why raw numbers are not very useful when the basis for comparison is not consistent.

Reactions: moa999
Yup, it was more just an indicator that verified what I was seeing with my own eyes.

I've been out and about today doing kids sporting events, optometrist and a lunch outing. I think I would have seen at least 10 Teslas. They are everywhere around here. When in Sydney for business trips and walking from the hotel to work or driving to and from the airport I don't see any where near as many.

That said, here are the full stats:
1679120935065.png

0.5% of the fleet ;). There is a lot of data on their site (EV Index - AAA - Data Dashboard) for anyone that wants to take a look at their area and see national/state stats too.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
I've been out and about today doing kids sporting events, optometrist and a lunch outing. I think I would have seen at least 10 Teslas. They are everywhere around here. When in Sydney for business trips and walking from the hotel to work or driving to and from the airport I don't see any where near as many.

I certainly see lots and lots of Teslas in inner Sydney - can’t drive for more than a minute without seeing one. According to the Electric Vehicle Council’s report “Australian Electric Vehicle Industry Recap 2022”, 3.5% of all new vehicle sales in QLD in 2022 were BEV, while in NSW it was 4.0%. ACT was the highest with 9.7%.