Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Exige?? (Dale Vince - Wind Car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dale Vince said recently;

"the Tesla never really did it for me.

Was offered the last (new) right hand drive roadster in the world last week (by Tesla), tempted for a split second, but it’s no Nemesis…"

http://zerocarbonista.com/2012/04/04/fuel-crisis-what-fuel-crisis/
That sounds like sour grapes and not particularly rational. The whole project was in the shadow of Tesla. When asked why not just get a Roadster, he complained that the Roadster was LHD only (back in 2008). I think now he would probably want to avoid test driving the Roadster since it definitely a better car. Of course there is the satisfaction of doing something yourself. Or... err... hiring a bunch of people to do something the way you want it, I guess. One plus for the Nemesis, though. I does have 3-phase charging. :wink:

Every time I read about this, I can't help but think he paid way too much to get far too little from his EV. Oh well.
Definitely expensive and I don't think they came up with anything new, though he claims they "learnt much" and that they'll be "spin offs", but I doubt it. I remember thinking while watching the early videos, his team of "experts" seemed to know very little about EVs and were definitely learning by doing. Probably would have been better off using a dedicated conversion shop. I doubt Chrysler spent as much money on Dodge Circuit EV Europa conversion they got Lotus to build for them.

I always found it funny that they could justify TSB money on this, or the Delta Coupe, both of which were never earmarked for production.

Do we know if Nemesis got its 3 phase charging? Last I heard it wasn't fitted.

What's the 0-100mph on the Roadster?

yeh, exact figures are hard to find.... £750,000 (including a £400,000 from the TSB) generated a lot of 'noise' in the UK press :smile:

The story that caught my eye was after seeing a fancy staged photo in the DailyWail quoting £1m …

Millionaire Dale Vince OBE spends £1m building Britain's first all-electric supercar | Mail Online

At the time I had done a lot of planning to do my own conversion including project costings, and whilst I admire the effort that’s gone into the Nemesis and the result, I couldn’t help but think " .... £1m ? … someone has done very well out of that !!"

Plus, how he somehow managed to persuade the TSB to cough up £400k is a mystery. Having been through the same application process (although not connected with EV's) I cant understand how he got funding approval. Maybe it was applied for under the last administration when they were throwing it away trying to make the national debt as big as possible prior to losing office ..

Maybe the budget included the filming of these 13 development videos - which are actually quite interesting :-

The Vision - About Ecotricity - Ecotricity

... What's the 0-100mph on the Roadster?

Road & Track said 10.9 seconds, Motor-trend got 11.5s, both of which showed the Tesla capable of spanking an R8 in a straight line anywhere below 100, although having said that the R8 is a superb car.

All the mid range performance figures between 0-90mph compare very favourably with many other high end 'sports cars'.

Above 90mph the torque drop off and aerodynamics don’t look so good - but why buy all the engineering expense of a 200mph car when it will spend 99.9% of its life below 100mph ??!

Teslasportaccelresults.jpg

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport vs 2011 Porsche Boxster Comparison - Motor Trend

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport - Article - RoadandTrack.com

I suspect that may not happen :wink:

Dale Vince said recently;

"the Tesla never really did it for me.

Was offered the last (new) right hand drive roadster in the world last week (by Tesla), tempted for a split second, but it’s no Nemesis…"

http://zerocarbonista.com/2012/04/04/fuel-crisis-what-fuel-crisis/

Right, it goes much further, has a faster 0 to 60 time, is cheaper, it charges faster, is fully supported by knowledgeable staff, and actually supports a more mass market car. Though from reading his post it seems that he doesn't drive his Nemesis anyways so what was the point? Publicity of "look what I build?" Correct, the Roadster won't do that for you.

Nemesis getting lots of press coverage today as they go for the UK electric land speed record. Not sure this link will work outside the UK: BBC News - Electric super car in land speed record challenge

Amazed the record is only 137 mph and its years old. It would not have taken much to capture it with a Roadster - just different gearing?

Looking at the vid clip, the Nemesis is sporting some very large diameter rear wheels and enlarged wheel arches, allowing it to get a better top end.

The Roadster has rears about 25" in diameter on 17" inch rims as standard. If you managed to get 18"/19" rims in there giving 27inches diameter, you might just fit them inside the Roadsters arches and potentially increase its 125mph rev-limited top speed, to 138mph, without the need to modify anything else within the car.

As far as I can tell the ESS and existing motor will have enough power delivery to 'momentarily' hit the top speed before it all overheats. The motor does not have any water cooling, and I guess it was never intended to make a car capable of sustaining high speeds over 100mph, but instead just give the driver masses of acceleration in the usable 0-80mph speed band usable on public roads.

If you modified the roadsters rear wheel arches to accommodate 21" Model S rims giving an overall diameter of 29" it might even allow a momentary high of 145mph peak without any other mods.