Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A catchphrase often used in connection with Hairy Davidson riders on the forum I usually hang out on (advrider.com):

"If you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do!" Some members even had a t-shirt made with that on the front.

A beast of an electric motorbike; $34,000, 90 miles of range at 50 mph, DC-charging capable:

2015 Energica Ego Preview - CNET

2015 Energica Ego electric superbike looks fast and futuristic (pictures) - CNET
Well, this confirms my decision to go w/ a Mission R. Mission is offering a 15kWh battery (vs the Energica's 11.7kWh), weighs only 510lbs (vs the Energica's 569lbs), offers a 10kW charger (vs the Energica's 3kW), all for only $2,500 more. The Mission R has reverse as well. Also if you want more range you can get a 17kWh battery and it will still weigh less than the Energica.

The Energica does have slightly more torque, 144 ft-lbs vs the Mission's 133.4 but is down on horsepower. 134 for the Energica vs 163 for the Mission. That's likely due to the Energica using a permanent magnet motor which have lower rpm limits than the Asynch AC motors used by Mission (and Tesla).

So in all I think the market still belongs to Mission. Now if they'd just sell me one! :tongue:

BRD Motorcycles announced an electric motocross/supermoto a few years ago, but then went quiet. This summer, I had the chance to stop by their place to check for a pulse. Here's the story of what I found.

BRD-doors.jpg

First 'Iron Butt' Award For Electric Motorcycle: Terry Hershner

Terry rode his modified 2012 Zero S motorcycle with a custom Vetter streamlined fairing (working with Craig Vetter himself) and 4x 6kW J1772 chargers --which gives him Tesla Supercharger-like recharge times (30-50 minutes) for the smaller battery.

This latest trip, to be the first EV bike rider to gain membership into the Iron Butt Association, has him covering 1000 miles in <24 hours. He used ChargePoint stations along the trip to provide third-party location and timing verification.

Article mentions that he has previously attempted cross-country EV motorcycle trips. Looks like the current bike could pull it off!

Last edited:

Terry rode his modified 2012 Zero S motorcycle with a custom Vetter streamlined fairing (working with Craig Vetter himself) and 4x 6kW J1772 chargers --which gives him Tesla Supercharger-like recharge times (30-50 minutes) for the smaller battery.

This latest trip, to be the first EV bike rider to gain membership into the Iron Butt Association, has him covering 1000 miles in <24 hours. He used ChargePoint stations along the trip to provide third-party location and timing verification.

Article mentions that he has previously attempted cross-country EV motorcycle trips. Looks like the current bike could pull it off!

My dad has used the "I can't do the Iron Butt on an EV bike" excuse to me every time he asks (or rather tells) me what bike he is going to get.

Now he has nothing!!! :)

I got to see this bike, and talk to the owner at the National Drive Electric week event in Cupertino today. Bike looked like something out of Mad Max in person, it was great. 100 wh/mile at 85mph if I remember correctly. Slower speeds were around 60-80 wh/mile, I think.

Also spent some time talking with the Lightning electric motorcycle guy, and was really impressed with his bike. Ground up electric design -- he said it would be foolish to not learn from Tesla. They want to use Tesla's quickcharge port, because CHAdeMO plug is so big it almost pulls the bike over, and almost all of their customers are Model S owners. They can't get in contact with anyone at Tesla to discuss it. Even had a meeting with the DOE(EDIT: or maybe it was the DOT), who were supposed to arrange a meeting, but that didn't work either. I think it would be great if Tesla brought them in to participate in the Supercharger network. He said Mission hasn't established their supply chain yet and won't be shipping bikes for a while. Their investors are pushing them to do engineering contracts.

Last edited:
They want to use Tesla's quickcharge port, because CHAdeMO plug is so big it almost pulls the bike over, and almost all of their customers are Model S owners. They can't get in contact with anyone at Tesla to discuss it.

Seems hard to believe, they are not some garage DIY outfit ...? Humiliating the competition on Pikes Peak (including the gassers) should be enough to give anyone serious credibility. And IIRC Tesla has contacted members of this board here just on the basis of some of the posts they made. Maybe the Lightning boss should post on this forum, there must be some people here who can help him with a little networking, like Doug, Bonnie, nickjhowe, lolachampcar ... ?

Seriously, a Lightning with supercharger access would be pretty much the coolest thing ever and it would give Tesla massive positive PR, with barely any expense.

PS: Maybe Tesla would allow them to use their paint too, so all those Model s owners could have color matched cars and bikes in their garage!

I was told by another manufacturer that they were testing high speed DC charging based on a nation wide DC charging network (Tesla is the only one I know of). That same manufacturer then pushed delivery by a year if you count the first three month push back in June. The comment made was that the ones responsible for the charging infrastructure were very particular about the quality of the battery system as ANY misstep would be a PR nightmare.

If I were Tesla, I would be reluctant to take a chance on any entity that did not have an incredibly strong engineering team with a laser focus on safety. As we have seen, one fire goes a long way.

the ones responsible for the charging infrastructure were very particular about the quality of the battery system as ANY misstep would be a PR nightmare.

I'm not quite clear - did the other manufacturer you spoke to say that about Lightning or were they testing it for use in their own motorcycles? In the latter case that would make two companies willing to use Tesla tech, very nice.

IIRC the CEO of the other manufacturer worked for Tesla and is friends with Elon, I had been wondering why Lightning would be the first to try to implement Tesla tech

The quoted part does sound very much like Tesla and Elon Musk! :biggrin: I am hopeful as the wiring should not be to tricky and a motorcycle battery is not nearly as exposed to damage as the "skateboard" of the Model S. Also you can't get trapped on a motorycle after an accident like you can in a car, which would not be a good day if the battery caught fire.

Last edited:
Zero Motorcycles has announced their 2015 lineup. Essentially the same models from 2014. but with much improved riding experience. New Showa suspension, Pirelli tires, and 10% more battery. If you've been put off by the components Zero has used in the past, 2015 might be a good time to take a second look.

Also, just in time for the 2015 announcement, my 2014 ride review has been published. (I know, great timing. *takes a bow)
This is my first motorcycle review and coincides with my first motorcycle street ride.

2015-zero-sr-action.jpg

That is certainly the best way to support them! :smile:

I read they doubled their revenue last year, good news! Looks like they are here to stay. It is so depressing having to read about all those struggling and failing innovative e-vehicle startups with great ideas. They should build a cruiser version and a fully faired sportbike version too, those are by far the most sold motorcycles, at least in the US.

@lolachampcar:
Are you free to say whether it was Lightning or Mission who was interested in the Tesla plug for their motorcycles?