Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Tow ball

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cost / return perhaps. They don’t exactly advertise the tow bar, you have to special order it through the advisor and only on the Long Range (M3).
I've ordered a RWD with a tow ball. It means that I won't get the car until May though (ordered on NYD). I'm not sure about model Y's but there might not be any model 3's coming with a towball this quarter, something to do with the new Li-ion 12v battery needing a voltage converter for the towing electrics.

I've ordered a RWD with a tow ball. It means that I won't get the car until May though (ordered on NYD). I'm not sure about model Y's but there might not be any model 3's coming with a towball this quarter, something to do with the new Li-ion 12v battery needing a voltage converter for the towing electrics.
Can you tell us what price you are being quoted for the towbar?
Originally I ordered one (€1500 IIRC) but because of the global chip shortage they couldn’t do it, so the plan was to retrofit it. But while it’s as easy to sign for a 55,500 car as it is for a 54,000 one, putting your hand in your pocket for an extra 1500 months later is not so easy....

Reactions: hairysteve
Purely cost and the fact that with low towing capacity not many people will probably go for it. (limited use).
I use the towing hitch on my SR+ almost every week for either trips to the local tip or longer jaunts picking up various items from Ebay etc, sometimes requiring a charge to get home.
One long trip was picking up a bulky object and with man maths I assumed there was plenty of charge to reach home after a rushed top up on a 50kW "Rapid" but as soon as I pulled away the "computer said no" and I stopped off for another top up at an SC closer to home.
It turned out that I did have plenty left at the end so the computer was just playing safe.
Range is hit a bit but not too much as you drive slower. Power though is barely affected and you can still burn away from a standstill! :p

To me it has paid for itself many times over.

Originally I ordered one (€1500 IIRC) but because of the global chip shortage they couldn’t do it, so the plan was to retrofit it. But while it’s as easy to sign for a 55,500 car as it is for a 54,000 one, putting your hand in your pocket for an extra 1500 months later is not so easy....
i thought you couldn't retrofit as they didn't type approve cars without the tow bars from factory, or has that now changed?

I use the towing hitch on my SR+ almost every week for either trips to the local tip or longer jaunts picking up various items from Ebay etc, sometimes requiring a charge to get home.
One long trip was picking up a bulky object and with man maths I assumed there was plenty of charge to reach home after a rushed top up on a 50kW "Rapid" but as soon as I pulled away the "computer said no" and I stopped off for another top up at an SC closer to home.
It turned out that I did have plenty left at the end so the computer was just playing safe.
Range is hit a bit but not too much as you drive slower. Power though is barely affected and you can still burn away from a standstill! :p

To me it has paid for itself many times over.

I have the towbar to be honest but never used it (got it freebie but that is a long story). Do you mind sharing what trailer you got? I am planning on some major pond rework this spring and it will come handy ;)

It has added £1300 to the cost of the car. It is extortionate compared to the towbars I've sourced and fitted myself in the past!

Fair enough - I thought this wasn't on the table due to less traction with 2WD than 4WD. Do you know what the towing weight limit is? On the LR it's 1000kg.

I tow with a M3 SR+ ... RWD is not an issue... 1000kg the same. You forget how much torque and how much traction you have in these cars! Admittedly I only tow a small trailer but even when loaded up it appears to have almost zero effect on the car's ability to pull away.

I tow with a M3 SR+ ... RWD is not an issue... 1000kg the same. You forget how much torque and how much traction you have in these cars! Admittedly I only tow a small trailer but even when loaded up it appears to have almost zero effect on the car's ability to pull away.
After thought: I imagine that if you attached to a 20 tonne trailer the main problem on pulling away is that you might leave the chassis rail and tow hook behind if you were to press the throttle to the floor! :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts