TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Electric Vehicle Taxes, Fees, and Penalties

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Feb 26, 2013.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

To counter the "EV Incentives thread" this one is about new enacted laws, taxes and fees that will slow Electric Vehicles adoption.

State officials propose mileage tax for fuel-efficient vehicles in Oregon | OregonLive.com

Related:
    WA Senate passes $100 annual electric car fee

Washington State Lawmakers Issue Giant Middle Finger To Electric Vehicle Owners

2. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I do think that everyone should pay road taxes if they are going to use the roads, but I think I'd wait a little longer until EVs become more established.

3. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Uugh, if we must do something, what about actual use taxes like the endless tolls in Orlando. Even if you are not from the area, if you use the road, you help pay for the road. Then it doesnt matter what energy we use for personal conveyance and people who have a particular car, but may frequently use public transit are not double taxed.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#4 stopcrazypp, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

That is ridiculous.

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

I agree that the details of the use tax being proposed for Oregon EV's are ridiculous, but the need at some point for something like this is clear.

Time for me to contact my politicians and suggest it's a bit premature to be discouraging EV's. We're far from having so many EV's and high mpg hybrids running about that highway funds are endangered due to the mass conversion away from gas and low mileage cars, and to EV's and high mileage hybrids

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Why not just have a mileage and weight based approach for all cars? If their goal is to discourage gas guzzlers and not hurt the road tax from fuel efficient cars, that seems like a good solution.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That's my idea too. Unfortunately legislatures like to treat EVs as special cases (same situation with the noisemakers). I guess they don't want to anger as much people and they think the backlash will be less if they start with EVs first.