Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Michael Rosenblatt, VP of technology at Electrify America, Electrify America is now focused on making new charging stations with 10 or more dispensers per site.
I guess after watching Tesla do it that way for over a decade, they finally figured it out. Good news for sure though!
Hopefully, that means 10 dispensers with 10 parking spaces, not 6 or 8 hoses with 3 or 4 parking spaces so only 3 or 4 can use them at the same time.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I guess after watching Tesla do it that way for over a decade, they finally figured it out. Good news for sure though!
Hopefully, that means 10 dispensers with 10 parking spaces, not 6 or 8 hoses with 3 or 4 parking spaces so only 3 or 4 can use them at the same time.
All the dual handle EA hardware could only charge 1 car at a time anyway. The number of parking spaces vs dispensers was correct, almost always 1:1. There is 1 exception I know of with a poorly placed J1772 EVSE that I can post later tonight.

The next gen units are single cable and handle.

The number of parking spaces vs dispensers was correct,
I don't know that much about EA but Blink used to have 2 hoses and 2 parking spaces at a CHAdeMO DCFC but only 1 would work at a time. However, you could park at such a charger that was already in use and plug-in, then leave the area knowing that as soon as the original person finished, it would immediately charge your car. This meant you had your place in line and could go about your business without having to hover over the station, then rush to get your car (inevitably parked a distance away) to the charger before someone just arriving took it.
I believe some early EVgo stations were similar except that they offered one CHAdeMO and one CCS connector.
There's very little good one can say about Blink but this is one.
I also have to wonder whether EA got penalty 'credit' for 1 or 2 charging stations with the 2 connectors where only 1 would work.

Reactions: KJD
I don't know that much about EA but Blink used to have 2 hoses and 2 parking spaces at a CHAdeMO DCFC but only 1 would work at a time. However, you could park at such a charger that was already in use and plug-in, then leave the area knowing that as soon as the original person finished, it would immediately charge your car. This meant you had your place in line and could go about your business without having to hover over the station, then rush to get your car (inevitably parked a distance away) to the charger before someone just arriving took it.
I believe some early EVgo stations were similar except that they offered one CHAdeMO and one CCS connector.
There's very little good one can say about Blink but this is one.
I also have to wonder whether EA got penalty 'credit' for 1 or 2 charging stations with the 2 connectors where only 1 would work.
The only CCS or CHAdeMO DC FCs that I knew of where both hoses/cables on a pedestal could be used at the same time are these: Simultaneous Charging: Less Equipment, More Happy Customers. They have https://helpcenter.evgo.com/hc/en-u...charge-at-the-same-time-using-CHAdeMO-and-CCS on them. I've never heard of any in the US that can do this without that label. These aren't that plenitful but at least EVgo's new installs seem to have some of them.

I can't speak whether any of EA's units implemented the queuing as you mentioned. FAQ even says:
"If one connector on a charger is already plugged into a vehicle, can I use the other one?
Though there are two connectors at each Electrify America charger, only one can be used at a time. Having two connectors ensures that it’s easy for you to plug in—no matter where your car’s charging port is located. If either connector is in use, look for the next nearest charger. Most charging stations have at least four chargers to increase availability."

DCFC reliability – An open Letter to Electrify America shows from left to right: BTC Power, ABB (being ripped out and replaced), Efacec (probably all gone now), Signet "v1". DCFC reliability – An open Letter to Electrify America is an example of Signet "v2". All of those are dual handle (almost always dual CCS1 and a site usually has a lone CCS1 + CHAdeMO dispenser).

As I said, all next gen (https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/175) units are single CCS handle only. The dispensers can be from either BTC Power or SK Signet.
All the dual handle EA hardware could only charge 1 car at a time anyway. The number of parking spaces vs dispensers was correct, almost always 1:1. There is 1 exception I know of with a poorly placed J1772 EVSE that I can post later tonight.
Bank of America | San Jose, CA | EV Station is it. See pics 12, 14 and 15. If a J1772 user parks in a spot where its cable can reach, it now potentially blocks someone from using 1 CCS1 hose. Picture 6 has someone doing a workaround, but blocking traffic. I don't know why EA did that.

Princeton Plaza Mall | San Jose, CA | EV Station isn't far away and they did it right.

Last edited: