Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America - New Canaan, CT (CT-15 Service Plaza)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
This evening I spotted what looks like the beginning of Supercharger construction at the southbound New Canaan Service Plaza on CT Rte 15. It was dark and raining so I couldn’t see the northbound side.

It’s definitely utility and likely EV charger install work. I didn’t have time to get closer and see if the boxes said Tesla anywhere, but assume it’s a supercharger based on the contractor name (Maverick, which I’ve seen in these forums before), and the fact that Tesla showed a New Canaan location on their coming soon map, expected Q2 2023. Could they actually be running ahead of schedule?

Here are my photos. I’ll leave it to others here to find planning documents or otherwise confirm. I may pass by on my way back to Boston tomorrow evening - if so I will stop at the northbound plaza.

939EE037-0E24-4363-B7FA-D2E6DDD72641.jpeg
AC1DD558-9293-456B-99B2-DF0F55FD9166.jpeg
5FD452D7-BE92-4DD9-88BF-89940202E7C3.jpeg

Thanks for the photos and info @PeterK. As much as I would love to believe this is the Tesla supercharger commencing construction, I believe this actually an L3 DCFC project getting underway. But it's possible it's supercharger work. Maverick has been doing DCFC installs recently in CT - Fairfield most recently I think. They also did DCFC prep work at the 128 NB service plaza in Lexington, and are likely they company doing the Newton 128 SB service plaza that is just getting underway (they have the permit for that work in Newton).

Given we've been unable to find any permits for the CT supercharger work at the New Canaan or Fairfield Merritt service plazas, or this project for that matter, it could happen at any time though with construction being the first sign it's happening.

@tes-s is nearby and should be able to provide an update or two as the project progresses.

Reactions: PeterK
I've been watching since they dropped off the Lincoln Electric equipment. No Tesla equipment so far. Could be a pre-fab install, in which case there would not be any Tesla equipment until later. I'll be at town hall today this morning - if I have a chance I'll stop by the building department.

• Helpful
Reactions: PeterK and Tdreamer
This is a ridiculous DCFC charger install. Cost per stall has to be at least double a typical Tesla 8-stall installation - for only 2 stalls!

Here it is under construction September 18. Why trench all the way down the parking lot?
2022-09-18 08.33.51.jpg

Here is pretty much the same view today. The two stalls (a little hard to see in the fenced area) are about 12 spaces down the parking lot.

2022-11-08 15.46.07.jpg

And of course, long trench for the utility primary. Nothing you can do about that. The transformer pad is where the cones are at the end of the trench.

2022-11-08 15.43.12.jpg

It does look like they are planning for expansion of 6 more chargers. In the first photo you can see the conduit from the power distribution cabinet to the two chargers that are in place, and then it looks like conduit for 6 more charger cabinets and space on the concrete pad for them.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer